Ohio Brewery News
Happy IPA Day!
It seems like no more than a week or two goes by without some kind of “beer holiday” happening, but this year’s National IPA Day – celebrated on the first Thursday in August each year – holds special importance as the current reigning “best IPA in the world” hails from right here in Ohio!
At the 2023 World Beer Cup awards ceremony back in May, Head Hunter from Fat Head’s Brewery topped a field of 412 entries in the American-style India Pale Ale category, earning a coveted gold award and bragging rights as the world champion. No stranger to the World Beer Cup stage, Fat Head’s has earned 13 awards at “the Olympics of beer” since 2012, including honors for other hop-forward beers like Hop Stalker fresh hop IPA, Hop JuJu imperial IPA and Midnight Moonlight imperial black IPA.
The Hops of It All
Several Ohio breweries have earned high honors at the Great American Beer Festival competition for their IPAs over the years as well. Here’s a quick look back at some more Ohio IPAs that have brought home hardware over the past decade:
- JAF IPA (2021 silver, 2019 bronze)
- Rain Delay (2015 silver)
- Midwest Red IPA (2021 silver, 2018 gold, 2017 bronze)
- Fat Head’s
- Hop Stalker (2019 silver)
- Midnight Moonlight (2018 bronze, 2017 bronze, 2016 silver, 2015 gold)
- Black Muddy River (2016 silver)
- Hop JuJu (2016 bronze, 2015 gold)
- IBUsive (2016 bronze)
- Elvis Juice (2017 bronze)
- The Brew Kettle
- White Rajah (2015 bronze)
- Columbus Brewing Company
- Creeper (2014 gold)
- Bodhi (2014 bronze)