Ohio Brewery News
Ohio Breweries Celebrate International Women’s Day
International Women’s Day is Wednesday, March 8, and several Ohio craft breweries are planning beer releases, women’s brew days and other community events to commemorate the occasion.
To celebrate women’s contributions to the greatness of Ohio’s craft brewing industry, we’ve compiled this non-comprehensive list of International Women’s Day events happening at breweries around the state starting this weekend. As we learn of more events, we’ll add to the list.
- Columbus Brewing Company will hold a brew day with their staff on International Women’s Day, Wednesday, March 8. The beer will be released on draft in late March/early April.
- Combustion Brewery will release Little Boots session IPA, the first of their two International Women’s Day beers, on Wednesday, March 8 at their taprooms in Pickerington and Clintonville. The second, Big Boots double IPA, will be released on Thursday, March 30. Both beers feature the Yakima Chief Pink Boots hop blend, an annual fundraiser for the Pink Boots Society.
- Ill Mannered Brewing in Powell will release Who Run the World Vol. 5 hazy IPA and a special fruited variant on Saturday, March 4. The beer will be available on draft and in 4-packs, with $1 from each sale to benefit POEM (Perinatal Outreach and Encouragement for Moms). (details)
- Nocterra Brewing hosted women from 18 Ohio breweries last month to create All Places strawberry rhubarb Berliner weisse. That beer will be released at their taproom in Powell on International Women’s Day alongside the new Take a Hike banana cream hefeweizen, with a portion of proceeds to benefit the Women’s City Club of Delaware.
- Bell Tower Brewing in Kent will hold a women’s brew day led by head brewer Jennifer Hermann on Wednesday, March 8. Local women in business are invited to participate along with Bell Tower staff. The resulting IPA, made with the Pink Boots hop blend, will be released in April in conjunction with a Women in Business happy hour event (date TBD).
- HiHO Brewing Co. in Cuyahoga Falls will hold a staff women’s brew day on International Women’s Day to brew Hey Girl, Hey! IPA. The beer will be released in early April with a portion of proceeds to benefit the Cleveland chapter of the Pink Boots Society. Follow them on social media for future details.
- Inside the Five Brewing‘s will hold their annual staff women’s brew day on Wednesday, March 8 for this year’s version of Boss Ladies, a pale ale made with the Pink Boots hop blend. Release date is scheduled for early April at Inside the Five taprooms in Perrysburg and Sylvania.
- Upside Brewing teamed up with The Bethany House to create Brewing for Courage, an orange and cranberry blonde ale using the Pink Boots hop blend. The beer will be released this Friday, March 3 for the downtown Sylvania First Friday Red Bird Art Walk. $2 of each pint will benefit The Bethany House, a long term shelter in Northwest Ohio for victims and their children who are escaping domestic violence. (details)
- Listermann Brewing will release this year’s version of Still I Rise, a cherry limeade sour ale, in cans designed by four women artists on Saturday, March 11. 10% of the proceeds from Still I Rise and 100% of the proceeds from the silent auction held at the event will be donated to Bethany House Services, a local non-profit whose mission is to empower homeless and at-risk families with the solutions to achieve housing stability and long-term self-sufficiency. (details)
- Rhinegeist will release Hildegard pale ale, created and brewed by Rhinegeist’s Women and Allies Employee Resource Group, as part of their International Women’s Day event on Wednesday, March 8. A portion of Hildegard taproom sales will benefit the Women’s Fund of the Greater Cincinnati Foundation. (details)
- Urban Artifact will hold a Women’s Day celebration this Saturday, March 4 from 1-5 p.m., featuring a pop-up market with more than 50 women-owned businesses, live music and a limited edition beer release. Suzy & Jane pineapple mango fruit tart ale, named for New Albion Brewing co-founders Suzy Stern and Jane Zimmerman, will be available on draft and in cans starting this Saturday. A portion of the beer’s proceeds will benefit a women’s brewing scholarship at Cincinnati State established by Urban Artifact head brewer Hannah Kent. (details)
- Alematic Artisan Ales teamed up with Esoteric Brewing‘s Anique Thomas and Lock 27 Brewing‘s Moragh Goyette to brew a saison with yuzu and ginger to be released on Saturday, March 11 in honor of International Women’s Day at Alematic’s Huber Heights taproom. (details)
- Branch & Bone Artisan Ales in Dayton will release Thanks It Has Pockets Vol. 5, a mixed berry pie stout on International Women’s Day, Wednesday, March 8. A portion of beer’s proceeds will benefit Artemis Center.
- Crooked Handle Brewing teamed up with the Dayton chapter of Girls Pint Out to brew a mimosa lager that will be released on International Women’s Day at Crooked Handle’s Springboro and Piqua taprooms.
- Star City Brewing in Miamisburg will tap this year’s International Women’s Day beer, a Mexican hot chocolate stout made with cacao nibs, guajillo and ancho chilies, and Saigon cinnamon, on Wednesday, March 8. A portion of proceeds will benefit Artemis Center. (details)
- Yellow Springs Brewery will release Haiku to Ninkasi, a Japanese rice lager brewed in collaboration with Urban Artifact, on Saturday, March 4. Surprise cask variants of Haiku to Ninaksi and Suzy & Jane fruit tart ale will be tapped at 4 p.m. in the Yellow Springs taproom as well. (details)