Are you an experienced professional brewer with a passion for the art and science of brewing? Are you someone that gets the job done right the first time, every time, and on time? Do you care about giving back to your community and operating sustainably? You should apply for the Brewer position!
MadTree is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce that inspires madness while being rooted in purpose. Pay is $17.31 – $21.48/hour commensurate with experience plus great benefits like paid volunteer time, subsidized health insurance, a retirement plan with a match that begins day one, profit sharing, paid time off, and many other great perks.
POSITION: Brewer I
LOCATION: Cincinnati, OH
WHO ARE WE?
When MadTree sprouted in 2013, we were driven to craft great beer – but more importantly – to build something bigger than ourselves and the high-quality beer we produce. Since the beginning, we have cared deeply about creating meaningful connections with our communities. We embrace our name MadTree and work to celebrate and protect nature, while reducing our impact on the environment. We are proud members of 1% for the Planet, with a commitment to donate 1% of our sales to non-profits focused on environmental sustainability. The craftspeople at MadTree wake up every day to connect people to nature and each other.
We are MadTree. Inspiring Madness. Rooted in Purpose.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Brewer I position works within the Production Department with responsibility for all hot side brewhouse operations to produce wort according to brand and quality standards. They will be an avid MadTree ambassador who lives the behaviors – Connect, Grow, and Give a F*ck.
KEY PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES IN ORDER OF PRIORITY AND PROJECTED TIME ALLOCATION:
60% – Accountable for all brewhouse operations on both automated and semi-automated systems to create wort according to recipes, SOPs, GBPs, and brand standards.
25% – Accountable for cleaning all brewhouse and related equipment according to SOPs, GBPs, and quality standards.
5% – Regularly participates in sensory evaluation to identify any process flaws to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
Note: Ten percent of time is reserved for ancillary responsibilities and activities unrelated to the key performance objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performing all 100BBL brewhouse operations via automated software and 15BBL semi-automated software, including: milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, whirlpooling, knockout, grain out, brewhouse vessel CIP.
- Accurately and completely follows all brewhouse SOPs and GBPs.
- Identify and correct all front-line brewing and quality control issues. Escalate any issues that cannot be immediately resolved to Lead Brewer and/or Head Brewer.
- Regularly input brewhouse data, quality checks, and raw material usage throughout the brewing process in automation software.
- Actively participates in sensory evaluation of finished product to monitor quality and continuous process improvement.
- Assist as needed with cellar-related operations: Centrifuge/Filter operation, Fermenter CIP/Scrub/Sanitation, Cell Counting, Checking Gravities/Monitoring fermentation (Including Glycol Controls), BBT Cleaning and Sanitizing.
- Assist maintenance team as needed on routine and emergency equipment maintenance.
- Enthusiastically spends a minimum of 16 hours per year volunteering (paid) for MadTree Impact initiatives.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be at least 21 years of age or older. Minimum of 1-2 years of professional brewing experience or equivalent education.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Attention to detail, ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards, and confidence to speak up and act when safety and quality are compromised.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work environment.
- Comfort with regular multitasking while maintaining efficiency and productivity.
- Effective and frequent communication with management and support staff, regardless of department or shift.
- Ability to use computer software and systems to manage processes and record process data.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The work environment is usually that of a brewery.
- The employee occasionally works with hazardous materials.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee frequently must work in a sanitary environment.
To apply for this job please visit www.madtreebrewing.com.