Automation and Controls Specialist
Our mission at The Boston Beer Company is to bring the highest-quality products to the U.S. beer drinker. To answer that mission, we are creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the differences in both our people and our brands. Our diversity makes us stronger, and when you bring your authentic self to work, we are a stronger, more innovative, and more sustainable company & community.
As a fast-paced, growing company with a strong family of brands (Samuel Adams, Dogfish Head, Angry Orchard, Twisted Tea, and Truly Hard Seltzer), we seek constantly to challenge the status quo. We are always looking for hardworking, talented, and passionate people (that means you!) to join our team.
We are The Boston Beer Company, and together we are heavy.
We are currently hiring an Automation & Controls Specialist in Cincinnati, OH.
What You’ll Do:
- Operational Support:
- Interface with Brewery department managers and operating personnel to provide hands-on situational troubleshooting expertise as well as identification, investigation, evaluation, and recommendation of new and innovative projects, processes, or equipment to achieve operating cost reductions, capacity expansions, manufacturing flexibility improvement opportunities, improved product quality, and governmental compliance.
- Provides technical engineering consultation, assistance, and leadership to Brewery personnel and staff departments on automated material handling and storage systems.
- Project Management specific to material handling and warehouse automation:
- Responsible for reviewing work scope definitions, capital cost estimates, operating cost savings development, investment justification and feasibility, system design, cost value analysis, and equipment design specifications provided by engineering.
- Responsible for communication to the brewery around work schedules, design changes, safety notifications and project milestone completion. Manage the effective transfer of technology and training to Brewery operating and maintenance personnel.
- Develop into the brewery SME for all automated material handling and warehouse automation for the brewery
- Ensures BBC safety and compliance standards are adhered to on all projects.
- Develop business case and plan for investment in new initiatives and new technologies.
- Cost Saving:
- Leads the development of new or improved equipment/processes and initiates the applications of beneficial technologies into the Breweries.
- Leads the identification and implementation of Gross Margin improvement opportunities related to brewing, packaging, and warehouse operations.
- General and Administrative:
- Supervises, technicians, and outside consulting engineers as assigned and is responsible for work scheduling, work quality, and performance.
- Must be able to work in and promote a team oriented and “Safety First” environment. Safely, efficiently, and effectively work to attain department and brewery goals and objectives. Help ensure “No bad beer leaves the brewery.”
- Ensuring BBC safety and regulatory compliance policies are adhered to on all projects.
- Manages and executes multiple plans and identifies issues or obstacles, gains alignment and brings all to resolution.
- Help develop and maintain Engineering Specifications and Documentation.
- Stays abreast of new technologies through networking, trade shows, and professional organizations.
- Effectively participate in cross-functional teams.
What We’re Looking For:
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering
- MS in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering
- 5+ years of progressive automation and engineering experience in beer, beverage, food or FMCG with mix of brewery/plant engineering and corporate engineering exposure.
- Exceptional project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated equipment/process troubleshooting skills
- Extensive practical experience with bottling/packaging operations
- Experience with industrial construction methods/standards
- Demonstrated project/idea development skills
- Solid financial aptitude
- Knowledge of industrial control software systems and integration
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience with implementation and of crane and shuttle ASRS systems and software from leading technology suppliers such as Westfalia, Dematic, System Logistic, Dambach, Toyota MHS, E80, etc.
- Thorough understanding of different types of ASRS technologies pros/cons
- Experience with Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) integration
- Experience with Wonderware or other MES system
- Experience with ERP and WMS Integration
- Mix of brewing, packaging, and warehouse experience a plus.
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We not only have to hire the best, but we have to reward, develop, and retain them too. We also have a variety of benefits including a competitive compensation package, extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discounted stock purchase plan, and a 401K program with a generous company match. Not to mention, there’s the free beer too!
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To apply for this job please visit bostonbeer.taleo.net.