Packaging Automation Engineer
Website samueladamsbeersamueladamsbeersamueladamsSamuel Adams Cincinnati Brewery
We are currently hiring an Automation Engineer in Cincinnati, OH .
The Automation Engineer will be responsible for implementing improvements to automated processes and equipment requested by operations and also supporting capital projects from the design phase to completion.
What You’ll Brew:
- Must observe and practice all Department/Brewery Procedures. Including wearing proper PPE, including respirators and all safety and sanitation equipment as required and follow all GMP guidelines
- Evaluate and improve on processes in manufacturing systems.
- Provide technical expertise in maintaining, troubleshooting and optimizing automated systems in Brewing, Packaging, and Utility systems across all Boston Beer Breweries.
- Implement and document changes for improvement and consistency of automated processes and equipment. This includes:
- Change Management
- Vendor type support for electrical & programming upgrades
- Wonderware/HMI Ownership
- Losses (raw material, product, rejects)
- Electrical drawing documentation, functional specification/description of operations documentation, and assisting in the development and implementation of processes, projects, and training efforts that drive continuous and sustained improvements in operations. Provide technical engineering consultation, assistance, and leadership to all operations with emphasis on equipment process interlocks and alarming, loss minimization, cycle time optimization, and material handling.
- Interfacing with management and operators to provide hands-on situational troubleshooting expertise as well as identification, investigation, evaluation, and recommendation of new and innovative projects, processes, or equipment to achieve operating cost reductions, capacity expansions, manufacturing flexibility improvement opportunities, and improved product quality
- Taking responsibility for operating cost savings development, system design, cost value analysis, equipment design specifications, and supervision/management of outside consulting engineering firms and contractors involved in optimization projects.
- Coordinate with IT, Instrumentation, and Corporate Engineering on process improvements
- Support capital project start up.
- Preparing critical coordination of brewery production scheduling, equipment vendors/manufacturers, outside contractors, and brewery personnel to insure timely and successful optimization efforts.
- Leading the development of new or improved equipment/processes.
- Supervising outside consulting engineers as required; managing work scheduling, work quality, and performance.
- Ability to be flexible and shift priorities in a constantly changing, fast-paced work environment.
- Some travel is required
- All production roles are required to pass a pre-employment physical exam to comply with their specific role requirement(s)
- Certain roles may require the use of a respirator and passing the associated fit test
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs, sometimes repeatedly
- Regular walking and standing for long periods of time (up to 11 hours a day) on concrete, metal and grated surfaces
- Responsibilities may require crouching, stepping over, crawling under, bending, twisting, climbing and reaching above head and shoulders repeatedly throughout the day
- Responsibilities may require climbing flights of stairs, working from heights or on elevated platforms
Ability to wear assigned PPE (safety shoes, gloves, facemask, hearing protection and hard hat)
- Established dexterity so you can handle materials, operate equipment and interface with computer systems with precision
- Some roles (e.g., forklift operator) may be required to sit for a prolonged period of time and have strong peripheral vision and depth perception
- Responsibilities may require crouching, bending, twisting, climbing, reaching, reaching above head and shoulders repeatedly throughout the day
- While performing the duties of this role, it may be required to climb flights of stairs, work from height or on elevated platforms*
- Agile enough to step over, crouch over or crawl under
- There is frequent exposure in production environments:
- Subject to loud and constant noise
- Non-environmentally conditioned spaces which may lead to extreme hot and cold
- Operating environment is complex and densely populated with production equipment and forklifts that necessitates high situational awareness
- Work overtime as needed which may require 12-hour days, weekends, and holidays
- Tolerate summer/winter temperature conditions and hot and cold room environments
- Must be able to work in and promote a team oriented and “Safety First” environment. Safely, efficiently and effectively work to attain department and brewery goals and objectives
What Ingredients You’ll Bring:
- Brewing/Packaging/Utilities Specific knowledge and experience is highly desired
- 10+ years combined experience in project engineering and plant engineering in a food or beverage manufacturing environment
- Comprehensive understanding and optimization of PLC controls (Allen Bradley highly preferred)
- Experience in fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Experience with operating and maintenance employee training procedures
- Experience with Employee Engagement and High Performance Workplace environments
- Demonstrated equipment/process troubleshooting skills including hydraulics, pumps, valves, instrumentation, and material handling
- Knowledge of industrial control software systems and interfaces
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional project management skills
- Demonstrated project/idea development skills
- Solid financial aptitude
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Proven problem solving/conflict resolution skills; be able to think through issues and arrive at well-thought conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in a collaborative team environment.
- Highly effective multi-tasker; resourceful with a “get-it-done, can-do” attitude.
- Able to impact and effect positive change with a flexible, open-minded, positive approach
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We hire the best talent; and we reward, develop, and retain them too.
In addition to generous healthcare on day one, stock purchase plan, 401k and more, Full Time Boston Beer Coworkers have the following perks available*:
- Tuition reimbursement
- Fertility/adoption support
- Free financial coaching
- Health & wellness program and discounts
- Professional development & training
- Free beer!
*Talk to your recruiter about eligibility
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.