Small Microbrewery located in Elyria Ohio
The brewer operates 7-BBL production brewing systems. Aspects of this system includes milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, and wort cooling. In addition, the brewer is responsible for pre- and post-cleaning and sanitation of all transfer lines and vessels. The brewer also is responsible for cellar tasks including, but not limited to, yeast pitching, filtration, beer transfers, tank CIPs, Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration, various fermentation additions, maintenance of parts and hoses, and the filling of kegs, casks, and firkins. The brewer works 8-12-hour shifts, and work may include 24/7 hours. The brewer is expected to be punctual, self-motivated, and contribute within a teamwork environment. Once eligible for growth, this position may evolve into a Senior Brewer status, rewarding proficiency.
Daily Duties, Functions, Responsibilities
- Work closely with Director of Brewing & Facility Operations to achieve desired quality and production targets;
- Ability to read and develop Grain Bills (Beer Recipes)
- Complete assigned tasks in accordance with company standard operating procedures and guidelines (SOP/SOG).
- Follow all safety procedures.
- Keep accurate inventory and quality management of raw materials and chemicals.
- Clean and Organize inventory and storage facility.
- Periodic handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Ordering Chemicals, Ingredients, Supplies, and other items essential to production.
- Keep accurate daily production records per company and Federal Requirements for Tax and other bookkeeping purposes.
- Continually maintain all beer production areas including equipment – (mill room, brewhouse, fermentation, and filtration, spent grain area, bulk grain and grain storage area, as well as all walkways and driveways around or leading too brewhouse and cellar).
- Assist maintenance technicians with equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Work with Lead Bartender to develop a Tap system bi-weekly cleaning schedule.
- Follow daily and weekly cleaning schedules to maintain a clean working environment.
- Quarterly cleaning of Heat Exchange (complete tear down and rebuild).
- Develop beer aging barrel program and monitor.
- Assist in developing cleaning schedule for Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System.
- Attend production meetings and contribute to product improvement.
- Operate and monitor electronic and computerized brew systems.
- Represent Unplugged Brewing Company at beer festivals and events.
- Schedule Keg Clean and run kegs to neighboring breweries for cleaning.
- Schedule canning with Iron Heart and run all canning events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Conditions and Nature of Work Contacts
- Involves frequent walking, lifting, and carrying objects weighing 50lbs routinely, occasional lifting of 100-150lbs.
- Must be able to work with fitted face respirator (provided) for periods not to exceed 30-minutes.
- Frequent use of latches, hand tools, clamps, hoses, etc., requiring manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Exposes employee to potentially minor injuries.
- Regular contact with production employees and management, as well as periodic, but consistent, customer interaction.
- Make supply runs and pickups.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of practices, methods, tools, and equipment used in production and pub-style brewing.
- General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work.
- Ability to run and operate production software such as BeerSmith and update recipes, develop new recipes and log in the software.
- Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment related to work.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Education and Experience
- Minimum of two years of brewing experience as assistant brewer or brewer.
- Professional brewing certificate preferred.
- High school diploma.
- Must be 21-years of age.
To apply for this job email your resume, references, contact information, etc to email@example.com