Brewer Job Summary:
The Brewer will be responsible for all brewing practices, day to day production and packaging of beer at the brewery, inventory management, cleaning & maintenance of brewing facility and all associated equipment and supplies, and all record-keeping related to the foregoing. Duties will include, but will not be limited to, the production and packaging of beer, recipe development, working with and directing other members of the team to ensure all beer that leaves the facility is of the highest quality and that the brewery is kept clean, functional, and up to Warped Wing Brewing Company’s standards at all times.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
- Brew and package beer according to brew schedule
- Keep brewing facility clean and functional at all times
- Follow cleaning and maintenance schedules and consult supervisor about cleaning needs, and perform all required cleanings to the appropriate standard.
- Clean tanks, brewhouse, kegs, pins, packaging line and other equipment
- Assist Controller with inventory management generally and inventory counts specifically of finished beer, grain, hops, and other raw materials inventory.
- Follow inventory procedures for all raw materials, chemicals, beer, cooperage, small parts, packaging, supplies etc. and report deficiencies to lead brewer.
- Monitor quality and temperature of fermenting beers on a daily basis per the lead brewer. Monitor sugar decrease, take level readings on the brite beer tank(s) and monitor temperature and pressure build up in fermenters and brite beer tanks.
- Monitor quality, flavor and carbonation of serving beers in the tasting room, packaging, and throughout brewing process.
- Rack beer from Fermenters to brite beer tanks and ensure it is recorded properly.
- Monitor pressure in tanks at all times.
- Use separator to clean beer of any solids on way to brite beer tank if applicable.
- Participate in beer tasting panels
- Work with supervisor(s) to keep an improvement log on all issues as they develop.
- Represent Warped Wing Brewing Company at various events, festivals and promotions. Promote good public relations and handle complaints and concerns.
- Follow all brewery policies and procedures and follow current developments in local, state, and federal laws applicable to the service of alcohol, safe food handling, health standards etc.
- Label all kegs and other packaged product in accordance with federal and state law using appropriate keg collars, labels and date codes.
- Perform preventative maintenance on a weekly/monthly basis as required and follow all cleaning and maintenance schedules.
- Assist staff with day to day tasks, problems and needs concerning equipment, supplies, etc.
- Troubleshoot and report all equipment problems, violations or substandard practices to the owner.
- Be responsible for maintaining all required paperwork and records including but not limited to brew logs, inventory sheets, packaging records, recipe sheets….
- Keep abreast of orders, inventory, availability, and events.
- Ensure the entire brewing facility including brewery, tanks, mill, counters, equipment, sinks, supplies, packaging line, shelving and storage areas are clean and comply with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene, and health standards at all times. Make recommendations to supervisor for maintenance, repair and upkeep of facility and all equipment. Design, establish, and maintain a daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning and maintenance schedule and direct production team to ensure they are completed regularly and to the appropriate standard
No supervisory responsibilities
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- A formal brewing education from a credited brewing program preferred.
- College Degree in a related technical field (Science or Engineering) and at least 2 years’ experience in a Commercial Production Brewery; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced knowledge of beer offerings and recipe development (flavors, ingredients, etc.)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule: days, nights and or weekends.
- Must have own vehicle, valid Driver’s License, current insurance coverage and clean driving record.
- Forklift certified.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong communication and administration skills to interact with customers, vendors, and coworkers in a professional manner.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and procedures.
- Must possess superior organizational skills.
- Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast-paced and evolving work environment.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment, and have leadership and planning skills.
- Analytical ability to gather and summarize data, find solutions to various administrative problems.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem solving skills and to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
Equipment, Machines and Software Used:
This position requires the regular use of a computer, printer, copier, telephone, scanner, calculator, cash register (at events,) keg washer, forklift, centrifugal pumps, electrical heating equipment, digital and analog scales, grain mill, hydrometer, refractometer, various brewing and lab equipment that is subject to change over time and handling pressurized gases
Microsoft Office to include Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
- Ability to exert up to 55 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of product. AND/OR Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions, extreme heat, potential for physical injury, exposure to hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals, and moving machinery.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
For consideration, please send your resume to Brewmaster John Haggerty, at email@example.com – resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled
To apply for this job please visit warpedwing.com.