Ohio Brewery News
Cheers to two years of beers from Pretentious Barrel House! The east Columbus sour brewery has a huge list of beer releases slated for their anniversary party on Saturday, October 12, including their first sour IPA, a collaboration with DankHouse Brewing in Newark called Here’s Your Hops, Pucker. If fruited sours are more your thing, don’t worry: Pretentious will have 10 of those on tap for you. Get all of the party details at facebook.com/pretentiousbh
- After a nine-year absence, Barley’s has brewed up a new batch of their porter; a peanut-butter infused cask version will be on tap today at their Arena District brewpub.
- BrewDog has canned a series of Halloween small batch beers: Red & Dead imperial red IPA, Vermont Vampire black New England IPA and Zombie Cake praline chocolate porter.
- 2 Tones Brewing will tap their new hoppy red ale, Return of the Living Red, on Saturday, October 12 at their tasting room in Whitehall.
- ICYMI: Commonhouse Ales has released Punkt, their seasonal imperial pumpkin porter, available in bottles and on draft.
Save the date: the annual first pour celebration for Great Lakes Christmas Ale is set for Thursday, October 24 at their Ohio City brewpub. If you’ve never witnessed the spectacle yourself, the brewpub doors open at 11 a.m. to the sounds of Christmas carolers, followed immediately by the entrance of Brewer Santa with the first keg of Christmas Ale in tow. After some brief ado, the Christmas Ale flows and the city of Cleveland rejoices. Get all the details and enter to win a VIP experience at facebook.com/greatlakesbrewingco
- If you can’t wait that long for Christmas beer, Saucy Brew Works will tap Three Ho’s today and Thirsty Dog will tap 12 Dogs of Christmas at their brewpub in the Flats on Saturday, October 12.
- Today, Railroad Brewing will tap 83 North, an 8.3% ABV, 83 IBU imperial west coast IPA, at their brewery tasting room in Avon.
- Two new beers on tap at Terrestrial Brewing in Battery Park today: Oblivious Fool fresh hop hazy IPA and 3B blueberry raspberry pomegranate sour ale.
- Basic Witch, a pumpkin spice latte imperial wheat stout, is on tap now at the Butcher and the Brewer in downtown Cleveland.
Penguin City Brewing introduced their new Brewmaster Select series of beers this week with planned releases on the first Thursday of the month going forward. The first installment of Doug Beedy’s signature series is 10-10-19 farmhouse IPA, available in 12 ounce bottles at the brewery in Youngstown. Later this month, Penguin City will release John Young apple ale in conjunction with the Downtown Youngstown Zombie Crawl on Saturday, October 26. Get details on that release at facebook.com/penguincitybeer
- Lockport Brewery’s second annual Locktoberfest celebration will be held on Saturday, October 12 at the brewery in Bolivar.
- Yuletide, the holiday spiced ale from Royal Docks Brewing, gets its annual can release on Monday, October 14 at their North Canton taproom.
- North Canton’s Shale Brewing announced the hiring of industry veteran Vince Falcone to head up brewing operations.
- ICYMI: Triangles and Feathers, the collaboration west coast double IPA from Akron’s Eighty-Three Brewery and Medina’s Blue Heron Brewery, is available on draft at both taprooms.
It’s Hoptoberfest time in Hicksville, the annual fall bash at Two Bandits Brewing. The festivities get underway Saturday, October 12 at 1 p.m. with a 0.8K run (still time to register if you’re feeling marginally athletic). The Hoptoberfest brew tent will open immediately after the race and feature several northwest Ohio breweries and wineries, including 4KD Crick, Drop Tine and Father John’s. Get all the details on the day’s events at facebook.com/twobanditsbrewing
Cheers to two years of beers from DankHouse Brewing! The party kicks off at 8:30 a.m. at the brewery in Newark with the Breakfast Beers session featuring big stouts and other breakfast-inspired brews (ticket required). The public session starts at noon with at least a dozen DankHouse beers on tap, including collaborations with Branch & Bone Artisan Ales, Pretentious Barrel House, New Holland Brewing and Melvin Brewing. Get all the details at facebook.com/dankhousebrews
Congratulations to Dead Low Brewing, who held their grand opening celebration in Cincinnati on Thursday, October 10! The nautical-themed brewery, located a stone’s throw from the Ohio River in the California neighborhood, opened with nine beers on draft – ranging from lagers and cream ales to Belgian-style brews to a Caribbean stout – and another eight on deck to be released in the coming weeks. Stop in and get your Ohio On Tap passport stamp! Dead Low opens at 3 p.m. daily.
- Fibonacci Brewing is now offering AirBnB accommodations at their urban farm and brewery in Mt. Healthy.
- Every Friday and Saturday night in October, Christian Moerlein is holding a haunted brewery tour and escape room experience rooted in Cincinnati brewing history at their brewery in Over-the-Rhine.
- Mark your calendars, whale chasers: The Samuel Adams Cincinnati taproom will be pouring Utopias, the 28% ABV barrel aged behemoth, at their anniversary party on Friday, November 15.
- Yesterday, West Side Brewing released cans of their Imperial Stout, a rich, roasty malt driven brew that checks in at a mighty 11.2% ABV.
Have you seen the beer list for Ale-O-Ween, the Halloween-themed Ohio craft beer fest coming to Dayton on Saturday, October 19? We’ll be pouring some real heavy hitters, including two 2019 Great American Beer Festival medal winners (Market Garden Brewery’s Prosperity Wheat and Daybreak from Wolf’s Ridge Brewing), plus some really fun one-offs and rarities from Warped Wing, Sonder Brewing, Columbus Brewing, Urban Artifact, Taft’s Brewing, Yellow Springs Brewery and more. Check out the list of 120+ beers and get your tickets: ohiocraftbeer.org/ale-o-ween