Ohio Brewery News
Diligent readers of this blog may remember we touched on the history of beer and pretzels back in April for National Pretzel Day. Combustion Brewery, Happy Little Treats Bakery and Columbus Underground are taking that classic gustatory match to the next level on Sunday, Nov. 3 with a pretzel and beer pairing at Combustion’s Pickerington taproom. Four beers will be served with four different flavored pretzel sticks. Get more info and tickets at facebook.com/combustionbrewing
- Pretentious Barrel House is releasing Ostentatious, a red sour ale barrel aged on pomegranates, on draft and in bottles today at their East Columbus taproom.
- Wolf’s Ridge will release Snow Cone, their winter seasonal extra pale ale, and three fruited variants today at their downtown Columbus taproom.
- Cheers to five years of beers from Hofbrauhaus Columbus! The party will be held on Thursday, Nov. 7 with food and beer specials starting at 6 p.m.
- Knotty Pine Brewing tapped Hallowed Spice, a fall/winter ale with ginger, cinnamon and clove, at their brewpub in Grandview Heights this week.
Huge can release at Masthead Brewing in downtown Cleveland on Saturday, Nov. 2. Dreamcrusher double dry hopped triple New England IPA, El Dorado Vice single hop New England IPA and bourbon barrel aged Coffee Underverse imperial stout with Tahitian vanilla beans will all be available in 16-ounce cans. Doors open at 11 a.m., but supplies are limited and a line is expected. Get more details at facebook.com/mastheadbrewingco
- Collision Bend Brewing released their spiced winter ale, 8 Crazy Nights, earlier this week at their brewpub in the Flats.
- Just in time for the impending Cleveland winter, Market Garden Brewery is bringing back cans of Beastie, their full-bodied American stout.
- Cans of Fire Cat double dry hopped New England IPA and Bona Fide Traveler IPA went on sale yesterday at Crooked Pecker Brewing Company in Chagrin Falls.
- Scooby Snack chocolate peanut butter stout is back on tap at Fat Head’s Brewery & Beer Hall in Middleburg Heights.
Cheers to two years of beers from Sandy Springs Brewing Company! Head to the brewpub in Minerva for all the weekend’s festivities, starting with a costume contest tonight and continuing on Saturday, Nov. 2 with a special beer tapping. The culmination of the celebration takes place at noon on Sunday, Nov. 3 with a limited bottle release of maple bourbon barrel aged Happy Sappy, the imperial red ale brewed with maple sap from the owners’ family farm. Get all the details at facebook.com/minervacraftbeer
- Ignite Brewing will tap their Christmas ale, Ignite the Lights, today at their brewery tasting room in Barberton.
- Modern Methods Brewing in Warren has jumped into the packaged beer world, releasing 16-ounce cans of four flagship beers this past week.
- Fruit Plate, a sour ale with raspberry, blackberry, tart cherry and passionfruit, is now on tap at Missing Mountain Brewing in Cuyahoga Falls.
- Akron’s Lock 15 Brewing just tapped two fan favorite beers alongside their new seasonal food menu: The Grandfather German lager and Ayers Brothers American style brown ale.
Here’s a collaboration beer that was a long time in the making: Tailspin Brewing and Yellow Springs Brewery recently teamed up to create Spinning Eagle altbier at Tailspin’s brewhouse in Coldwater. That equipment used to belong to Yellow Springs, whose co-owner Lisa Wolters is second cousin to Tailspin co-owner Teresa Waite. Spinning Eagle will hit the taps at Tailspin on Saturday, Nov. 2 and at Yellow Springs on Wednesday, Nov. 6. Read all about the beer and the relationship between these two Ohio breweries at beaconjournal.com
I took four years of German and grew up in a cold climate, but never had occasion to use the word “schneepflug,” meaning “snow plow.” It’s just such a fun word to say (pronounced SHNEE-pfloogh), so if you’re at Outerbelt Brewing today, be sure to order their freshly tapped Schneepflug spiced winter lager with gusto. Also hitting the taps at Outerbelt’s tasting room today is Double Dippin’, a mint chocolate imperial stout that is easier, if less fun, to say. Details at facebook.com/outerbeltbeer
- From Newark to Denmark: DankHouse Brewing will be sending beers across the pond in December to celebrate the anniversary of Peters, one of Copenhagen’s premier craft beer bars.
- ICYMI: The Granville Brewing Company released their new Black Harvest pumpkin stout last weekend, available on draft at their rural brewery taproom.
What’s in a name? MadTree Brewing announced this week that they have brought back an old favorite to their can lineup with a new name and a new look. The brewery’s early flagship brown ale Gnarly Brown – which was the subject of a trademark dispute with a California winery – has been re-introduced as Knotty Brown and rolled out this week at the MadTree taproom. Six-packs are expected to arrive at Ohio retailers in the coming weeks. Read more at facebook.com/madtree
- Rhinegeist’s Pure Fury pale ale returns after a two-year hiatus; available on draft at the taproom today, cans and kegs to distribution next week.
- This week, Rivertown Brewery released cans of Southern Queen, a milkshake IPA made with white peaches, Madagascar vanilla and South African hops.
- FigLeaf Brewing tapped their new Hot Metal Blonde ale last week, and introduced a cranberry version yesterday at their Middletown tasting room.
- Little Turtle Belgian Tripel is back on tap at Little Miami Brewing Company in Milford.
Cheers to six years of beers from Hairless Hare Brewery! The Vandalia brewpub will open their doors to revelers at noon on Saturday, Nov. 2 when they will tap their 6th Anniversary Double New England IPA. Several barrel aged beers will be pulled from the cellar, including 2016 and 2017 Barleywine vintages, 2018 Baltic Porter and General Nikolai Bomikoff Russian imperial stout, and 2019 Cold War Russian imperial stout. Read all about it at daytondailynews.com