Ohio Brewery News
Cheers to a year of beer from Olentangy River Brewing Company! Join them this Saturday, Nov. 16 for their anniversary celebration, kicking off at 8 a.m. with a free pancake breakfast at their brewery tasting room in Lewis Center. Olentangy River will tap three barrel aged beers at the event: Hero red ale at noon, Irish Stout at 2 p.m. and I Can’t Feel My Pants Russian imperial stout at 4 p.m. Get all the event details at facebook.com/olentangyriverbrewingcompany
- Five Ohio breweries earned awards at the Festival of Wood & Barrel Aged Beer, led by Wolf’s Ridge Brewing’s gold medal for 3-2-1 Double Barrel Aged Dire Wolf Russian imperial stout.
- Marion Brewing Co. is the newest member of the Ohio Craft Brewers Association! Stop in and get your Ohio On Tap passport stamp.
- Today, Random Precision Brewing will tap Sour Grapes, a collaboration Berliner weisse made with Grove City Brewing, at their taproom in Linworth.
- The avid cyclists of Lineage Brewing will host the annual Cranksgiving food drive at their Clintonville taproom on Saturday, November 16.
Fat Head’s Brewery announced this week that charitable brew Special Hoperations IPA will return in January 2020. The Middleburg Heights brewery will team up with Indiana’s 3 Floyds Brewing on the aggressively hop-forward beer. Special Hoperations is brewed and sold to benefit Honor Flight Network, a non-profit organization that transports veterans to Washington, D.C. to visit the memorials dedicated to honoring those who have served and sacrificed for our country. Read more at facebook.com/fatheadsbeer
- Cheers to five years of beers from Hofbrauhaus Cleveland! Join them tonight and Saturday for Beer Olympics at their downtown beer hall.
- The Jolly Scholar will release their two holiday beers – Elf’d Up winter warmer and Merry Crispness spruce tip pilsner – with a beer and cookie pairing tonight at their brewpub on the Case Western Reserve University campus.
- Market Garden Brewery brewed a special 90th anniversary beer for Cleveland-area Heinen’s supermarkets: Hoppy Anniversary triple IPA clocks in at 9% ABV and 90 IBU.
- This week, Collision Bend tapped Putzfrau, a schwarzbier named for the restored historic tugboat that was instrumental in Cuyahoga River cleanup in the 1970’s.
The arctic blast that blew through Ohio earlier this week serves as a reminder that some in our communities lack adequate clothing and shelter for the winter season. The Phoenix Brewing Company and Harmony House in Mansfield will hold their second annual winter coat drive to collect and distribute much-needed winter coats to the homeless. The drive will be bookended with beer releases at the Phoenix Brewing taproom: Snow Globe spiced holiday ale on Nov. 20 and Krampus Kandy white coffee stout on Dec. 4. Get full details at facebook.com/thephoenixbrewingcompany
- Today marks the opening of Muskellunge Brewing’s new homebrew supply store, located inside their brewery in downtown Canton.
- The 2019 batch of Muletide Carol, Maize Valley’s winter spiced Belgian dark strong ale, is expected to hit the taps today at the brewery in Hartville.
- Hoppin’ Frog Brewery will release cans of Killa Vanilla Extraordinary IPA on Thursday, Nov. 21 at the tasting room in Akron.
- Noble Creature Cask House tapped Auroch Baltic porter yesterday at their brewpub in Youngstown.
In case you were worried that you wouldn’t be able to get a variety of holiday beers in northwest Ohio this year, rest assured that Earnest saves Christmas. On Saturday, Nov. 16, Earnest Brew Works will release five winter seasonal brews at their taproom in south Toledo, including a bottle release of Holiday Spicewood barleywine aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels. The draft list also includes the original Holiday Spicewood, The Spice is Right spiced blonde ale, Snowy Mt. Crumpit white Belgian IPA and Cranberry Bliss grain/grape hybrid ale. Get all the details at facebook.com/earnestbeer
- Bowling Green Beer Works tapped a new hybrid brew this week: Double Bubble Belgian double IPA derives sweet flavors from Belgian yeast esters while delivering a hefty hop wallop at 90 IBU.
- ICYMI: Gongoozlers Brewery released Tub Boat hefeweizen – named after the barge-like container boats designed to transport goods on smaller canals – at their taproom in New Bremen last week.
Rockmill Brewery is well-known for producing exceptional Belgian-style ales rooted in Ohio sensibilities. So it makes sense that their version of an Ohio tradition, the spiced winter warmer, would get a Belgian twist. Rockmill’s Holiday Ale is based on a Belgian abbey ale, but is brewed with citrus-infused Belgian candi sugar and cacao nibs. Available in 750 mL bomber bottles or on draft at the Rockmill Brewery taproom in Lancaster. Read more at facebook.com/rockmillbrewery
BrewDog has continued their expansion within Ohio, holding the grand opening of their new Cincinnati outpost today. The new taproom is located in the Pendleton neighborhood and will feature a wide variety of Ohio-made BrewDog beers, some rare selections from the Scottish Overworks and curated guest tap handles. BrewDog Cincinnati is open daily at 11 a.m.; stop in, have a pint and get your Ohio On Tap passport stamp. Details at facebook.com/brewdogcincy
- HighGrain Brewing will release Native Acer maple brown ale, a collaboration with the Cincinnati Nature Center, on Wednesday, Nov. 20 at their brewpub in Silverton.
- Nine Giant Brewing has tapped Pass the Mic, an American pale ale brewed with Sabro hops, at their brewpub in Pleasant Ridge.
- FigLeaf Brewing released their new Steel Cut oatmeal stout on draft this week at their taproom in Middletown.
- Little Miami Brewing teamed up with chocolatier Tickled Sweet to brew an Opera Cream stout, on tap now at the brewery in Milford.
If you’ve ever driven along I-40 just west of Amarillo, you may have seen the peculiar sight of Cadillac Ranch: ten heavily graffitied cars half-buried vertically in the north Texas prairie. This iconic tourist attraction served as inspiration for the Branch & Bone / Fifty West collaboration double IPA, Stuck in Amarillo, which will be released in cans on Saturday, Nov. 16 at Branch & Bone’s Dayton taproom. Two other beers will also be released: Seasonal Friend festive Berliner weisse and Incantation: Merlot foeder aged wild ale. Details at facebook.com/branchandboneales
- Beer writer and Certified Cicerone David Nilsen will lead a historical beer tasting – including the release of a German-style Lichtenhainer sour smoked ale – at Carillon Brewing on Sunday, Nov. 17.
- This week, Endless Pint Brewing tapped their first double IPA, Velvet Sledgehammer, at their brewery tasting room in Versailles.