Ohio Brewery News
The newest brewery in Columbus is an import from the Queen City. The Taft’s Columbus Brewpourium opened to the public on Friday, Nov. 15 and is wasting no time getting in good with their new neighbors. Today at 4 p.m., they will tap a collaboration beer made with Land-Grant Brewing: The McDowell Shuffle – named for the street that connects the two Franklinton breweries – is a single hop pale ale featuring fruity and dank Strata hops. Read more at facebook.com/taftsbrewpouriumcolumbus
- Rake the Woods, a robust porter aged in California Syrah barrels, will be tapped today at Barley’s Brewing Company.
- Sideswipe Brewing will release cans of Mastermind imperial stout – along with eight variants on draft – on Saturday, Nov. 23 at their west Columbus taproom.
- Six One Pour tickets go on sale at 7 a.m. on Black Friday. The first 100 early admission tickets sold will be $10 off!
- Staas Brewing tapped two seasonal beers this week – Drunk Turkey sage ale and Belgian White Christmas ale – at their tasting room in Delaware.
Cleveland’s favorite craft beer event, Winter Warmer Fest, returns to Windows on the River on Saturday, March 7, 2020. Tickets go on sale at 7 a.m. on Black Friday with a $10 discount on the first 100 early admission tickets sold. Last year, those 100 discount tickets sold in about 40 minutes and this year is expected to go even faster. Set your alarm now! Tickets available on Friday, Nov. 29 at beerfesttickets.com/winterwarmer2020
- Bring a book donation to Booksgiving at Bookhouse Brewing on Saturday, Nov. 23 and get a free pint glass to take home.
- Sibling Revelry Brewing’s seasonal Mocha Oatmeal stout is back in cans at retailers around northeast Ohio.
- Avon Brewing Company took possession of their new brewhouse equipment this week.
- ICYMI: Railroad Brewing Company released their Christmas ale, Naughty Uncle, last Friday at their taproom in Avon.
Cheers to a year of beer from Missing Falls Brewery! The party starts today at 4 p.m. and runs through Sunday with commemorative glassware available to the first 50 customers each day. Several new anniversary beers will be tapped for the festivities, including three heavyweights clocking in at more than 10% ABV: In Bruges Belgian quad, Bearded Axe barleywine and Winternights Russian imperial stout. To help get you to Missing Falls and other downtown Akron breweries, the city is providing a free trolley loop from 4-8 p.m. Details at facebook.com/missingfallsbrewery
- Akronym Brewing and the Akron Fire Department will team up to tap Smoke Showing smoked porter on Saturday, Nov. 23. A portion of proceeds will benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Royal Docks Brewing will light their world record-setting Kegmas tree at their brewhouse & cannery in North Canton on Wednesday, Nov. 27.
- HiHOHOHO holiday ale will be tapped on Wednesday, Nov. 27 at HiHO Brewing in Cuyahoga Falls.
- Penguin City Brewing will release their new holiday Pink Peppermint Ale in collaboration with One Hot Cookie bakery on Wednesday, Nov. 27.
If you’ve been participating in Movember or No-Shave November – both have their roots in raising money and awareness for prostate and testicular cancers – don’t let a month of follicle growth go to waste. Findlay Brewing Company will hold a beard and moustache competition on Saturday, Dec. 7, with judging over five categories: general moustache, full beard, full beard with stylized moustache, partial beard and whiskerina (for ladies’ handcrafted beards). The brewery will also tap Abominator barrel aged imperial stout in time for the contest. Get all the details at facebook.com/findlaybrewing
Two of Ohio’s top purveyors of hazy IPAs have teamed up on a collaboration brew that will see release next week. DankHouse Brewing in Newark and Missing Mountain Brewing in Cuyahoga Falls will each tap Dank Mountain on Wednesday, Nov. 27. This New England-style double IPA is quadruple dry hopped with Comet, Strata, Columbus, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc and Summit hops. Available at both taprooms on Thanksgiving Eve.
March First Brewing will hold another installment of their Stout Blowout celebration today at their taproom in Cincinnati. A total of 20 stouts will be available on draft, including five whiskey barrel aged stouts, four varieties from sister brewery FigLeaf, and a couple of far-out flavors mixed in (coconut curry, everything bagel). The stouts hit the taps at March First at 4 p.m. today, many of these are available in very limited quantities. See the full tap list at facebook.com/marchfirstbrewing
- Fretboard Brewing will release cans of barrel aged Cliftone Cookie Jar imperial stout – with an accompanying performance by roots reggae band The Cliftones – today at their taproom in Blue Ash.
- It’s a Thanksgiving Eve feast: Urban Artifact will host the second annual Bon Vivant: Street Eats food and beer pairing fest on Wednesday, Nov. 27.
- Fibonacci Brewing will release Pride of the Valley, a wheat ale made with local paw paw fruit, at their fourth annual customer appreciation event on Wednesday, Nov. 27.
- ICYMI: 3 Points Urban Brewery released a limited run of two of their beers last week, Progress Supreme pilsner and Cartoon Clouds post-coast IPA.
On next week’s blog, we’ll be dishing details on a lot of Ohio breweries’ Black Friday beer releases (we’ll publish that on Wednesday, by the way, so you have time to make your shopping plans). The Dayton Beer Company, however, is beating the Black Friday rush by releasing two barrel aged beers in bottles on Saturday, Nov. 23. Soggy Crumbs, the brewery’s annual gingerbread ale was aged in Old Forester 1910 bourbon barrels and Midnight Dream raspberry Russian imperial stout was aged in Sagamore rye whiskey barrels. Read more at facebook.com/daytonbeerco
- Fifth Street Brewpub will hold a fundraising night for Miami Valley tornado victims on Monday, Nov. 25, featuring guest bartenders from seven Dayton-area breweries.
- This week, Alematic Artisan Ales tapped Dani California, an imperial stout with cacao, cinnamon, ancho chiles and habanero peppers at their tasting room in Huber Heights.