Ohio Brewery News
The holiday season isn’t just about spiced winter warmer ales: it’s also a time to reaffirm our commitments to helping those in need. A little over a year ago, Steve Landes started Couchphilanthropy, a crowdfunding initiative to help people with urgent financial needs who were struggling to make ends meet. Within five months, Landes had helped to raise more than $40,000 for 90 people simply by asking his 3,500 Facebook friends to chip in a buck or two if they could. To help fund Couchphilanthropy’s ongoing mission, Combustion Brewery has brewed Couch Beer, a hazy IPA brewed with Galaxy hops and Cosmic Punch yeast, that will be released on Tuesday, Nov. 30. A portion of Couch Beer sales will be donated to Couchphilanthropy at the Couchgathering on Saturday, Dec. 4 at Combustion’s Pickerington taproom. Stop in anytime between Nov. 30 and Dec. 4 to slip a few extra bucks into the couch cushions to help people in our community. Find out more at facebook.com/combustionbrewing
Craft beer lovers, rejoice! Winter Warmer Fest is coming back to Cleveland on Saturday, March 5, 2022. Fifty Ohio craft breweries will showcase their winter seasonal, rare and strong beers for the 15th annual event at Windows on the River in the Flats. Tickets go on sale this Friday, Nov. 26 at 7 a.m.: general admission tickets are available in advance for $55, as well as a limited number of early admission tickets available for $65, granting admission at 1 p.m. Designated driver admission is available for $20 and includes a food voucher. A coupon code for $5 off the price of early admission and general admission tickets will be issued to users of the Ohio On Tap brewery passport app on Thanksgiving Day. TIP: make sure your device allows notifications from Ohio On Tap to easily find the coupon code, which is valid for purchases through Friday, Dec. 3. As in prior years, Winter Warmer Fest is expected to sell out in advance of the event, so make sure to get your tickets ASAP. Tickets are available online exclusively at beerfesttickets.com/winterwarmer2022
It’s a great weekend to pick up some stocking stuffers for the craft beer drinkers on your list. There’s no shame in picking up a few treats for your own beer cellar while you’re at it. Paradigm Shift Brewing has a special bottle release planned for Small Business Saturday on Nov. 27 that just may fit the bill for barrel aged beer fans. The brewery’s award-winning, fan favorite Russian imperial stout, Evelyn, was aged in barrels for more than a year, picking up bourbon and vanilla notes to complement the base beer’s rich, intense sweetness. A maple version of Evelyn will also be available on Saturday, aged in bourbon barrels that were filled with maple syrup before being sent to the brewery. Paradigm Shift will also release bottles of Rectitude, a new English-style barleywine aged in bourbon barrels for more than a year. Stop by the taproom in Massillon starting at noon on Saturday to pick up these barrel aged brews. Find out more at facebook.com/paradigmshiftbrewing
Holiday-inspired beer fans have no shortage of new options in northwest Ohio this week:
- 4KD Crick Brewery: ‘Tis the Saison brewed with honey, maple, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Drop Tine Winery & Tap House: Polar Express Christmas ale on tap now.
- Earnest Brew Works: Bourbon barrel aged Holiday Spicewood bottle now available.
- Heavy Beer Co.: Argyle Christmas ale on draft and in crowlers starting today.
- Juniper Brewing Co.: Christmas Wrapping spiced winter warmer now on draft.
- Maumee Bay Brewing Co.: Cherry & Brite cherry pie sour available today at 5 p.m.
- Modcraft Brewing: Christmas Ale tapping and ugly sweater party this Friday, Nov. 26.
- Moeller Brew Barn: Roasted Hazelnut Porter on tap now, six-packs coming soon.
- Two Bandits Brewing: Kiss My Crissmass cranberry ale available on Saturday, Nov. 27.
- The UrbanWoody Brewery: Santa’s Hot Little Helper ale brewed with chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, coffee and habanero.
Cheers to three years of beers from Trek Brewing! Stop by the taproom in Newark on Friday, Nov. 26 to join in the festivities and sample the brewery’s special anniversary beer releases. Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, so they say, and Trek’s new Expedition series of limited release cans starts with Mile 1, a cookies-and-cream stout. The brewery will also be tapping a blueberry variant of their flagship Canteen cream ale alongside some other surprise releases on the extensive draft list. As part of Trek’s continuing commitment to supporting the Newark community, they’ll be donating 10% of every guest check on Friday to the Licking County Food Pantry Network. Find out more about Trek’s third anniversary celebration at facebook.com/trekbrewing
Cincinnati does Black Friday right for lovers of locally brewed strong beers. Check out all of these releases happening on Nov. 26:
- Brink Brewing: Barrel aged Imperial Moozie milk stout bottles and five more dark beers on draft.
- Cartridge Brewing: Excalibur imperial stout on draft and in crowlers.
- Fretboard Brewing: Bourbon barrel aged Drummer Boy winter warmer ale in four-packs.
- HighGrain Brewing: Four barrel aged variants of Maul imperial stout in four-packs.
- Listermann Brewing: Five barrel aged variants of Ray Ray imperial stout in 500 mL bottles.
- Nine Giant Brewing: Bourbon barrel aged Cookies & Cream Heavy Metal Drummer imperial stout bottles.
- Sonder Brewing: Five barrel aged variants of Family Tradition imperial stout in 500 mL bottles. (order online)
- Streetside Brewery: Barrel aged Robe red velvet donut stout in four-packs.
- Swine City Brewing: Stout takeover with a special mystery can release.
- Third Eye Brewing: Bourbon barrel aged Astral chocolate maple vanilla stout bottles, plus Double Astral and variants on tap.
- West Side Brewing: Imperial Stout and Cold Brew Imperial Stout cans, plus Mexican Hot Chocolate Imperial Stout and Blonde Stout on tap.
This week’s early press deadline due to the holidays means we don’t get to share any details about the bottle release happening on Black Friday at Branch & Bone Artisan Ales in Dayton. You’ll have to follow them on social media to get that info, but we’re sure it’ll be worth a couple extra clicks to stay in the loop if you’re not already. In the meantime, the brewery announced the release of a pair of gift sets for fans of saisons, farmhouse ales, wild fermented beers and all things funky. One set is composed of 500 mL bottles of Shadow Hand buckwheat saison, Arrow in the Gale raspberry wild ale and Silence Mill saison made with local honey; the other set includes bottles of Scrumper’s Delight paw paw wild ale, Visage dandelion farmhouse ale, and Ghost Heart wild ale made with raspberries and honey. Both sets are available for taproom pickup or statewide shipping while supplies last. Head over to the online store at branchandboneales.com to order.