Ohio Brewery News
This week’s blog is devoted exclusively to Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Small Brewery Sunday releases across Ohio. The Columbus area has tons of great beer gifts for the craft enthusiast on your list:
- Is opening your doors to the public for the first time the highest form of beer release? Forbidden Root opens their Easton brewpub at 4 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Six One Pour: The Ohio Craft Beer Fest tickets go on sale at 7 a.m. on Black Friday ($10 discount on the first 100 sold)
- Zaftig Ol’ Rugger Russian imperial stout bottle raffle (including 2018 vintage and 2019 variants)
- Nocterra Order of the Moth “secret society” mug club memberships
- Hoof Hearted can release: Stackin’ Paper triple IPA, Wängbär oat double IPA, Slø Turbø double IPA
- Draft-only Black Friday releases: Combustion Naughty and Nice holiday ales, Grove City All Together Adventure coffee granola nut brown ale, Random Precision Awake With a Start red sour ale with coffee.
- 2 Tones Brewing will tap their second barrel aged beer, C Bucks imperial stout, on Saturday, Nov. 30.
Cleveland’s favorite craft beer event, Winter Warmer Fest, returns to Windows on the River on Saturday, March 7, 2020. Tickets go on sale at 7 a.m. on Black Friday with a $10 discount on the first 100 early admission tickets sold. Last year, those 100 discount tickets sold in about 40 minutes and this year is expected to go even faster. Set your alarm now! Tickets available on Friday, Nov. 29 at beerfesttickets.com/winterwarmer2020
Author Joshua M. Bernstein interviewed more than 100 beer industry professionals while writing his fifth book, Drink Better Beer, an expert’s guide to buying, tasting and enjoying craft beer. Bernstein will be selling and signing copies at Market Garden Brewpub from noon-3 p.m. on Black Friday; all book sales come with a complimentary Market Garden pint glass and two tasting samples from the bar. Details at facebook.com/marketgardenbrewpub
Two big brewery anniversary celebrations are happening this weekend at award-winning northeast Ohio breweries. Lockport Brewery – a 2018 gold medalist at the Great American Beer Festival – will kick off their third anniversary festivities at 11 a.m. on Black Friday and celebrate through Sunday at their brewpub in Bolivar. Paradigm Shift Brewing – 2018 GABF bronze medal winner – will start their second anniversary party on Saturday, Nov. 30 with beer releases and merchandise giveaways through Sunday.
- Birdfish Cocoa Haze coconut hazelnut porter cans go on sale at 8 a.m. at the Columbiana brewery.
- Hoppin’ Frog Q.O.R.I.S. the Quasher quadruple oatmeal Russian imperial stout bottle release in Akron.
- Noble Creature can release: Thin Lips on Fruit black currant Berliner weisse and Petrushka Russian imperial stout
- Muskellunge Brewing Striped Bass Xmas ale draft-only release on Small Brewery Sunday (Dec. 1)
Small Business Saturday marks the first ever can release from Two Bandits Brewing. The newly expanded brewery will offer Black Shadow chocolate milk stout and Killer Bee IPA with local honey and fresh orange zest in 16 ounce cans from their taproom in Hicksville starting at noon on Saturday, Nov. 30. Get more details on the four pack release at facebook.com/twobanditsbrewing
- Earnest Brew Works will have a special bottle sale of bourbon barrel aged Before the Sun imperial coffee stout and Scotch barrel aged Fat Bastard wee heavy on Black Friday.
- Limited release crowlers of bourbon barrel aged French Toast Total Eclipse breakfast stout will be available at Maumee Bay Brewing Company on Small Brewery Sunday (Dec. 1).
Little Fish Brewing will release three new sour beers and one familiar classic in 500 mL bottles at their Athens taproom on Small Business Saturday. Consent is a sour brown ale aged in a red wine barrel and conditioned on earl grey tea and rose petals; $2 per bottle goes to the Survivors Advocacy Outreach Program to support survivors of sexual assault. Honey Bruin sour brown ale is aged in wine and bourbon barrels, then refermented on buckwheat honey. Any Sea is a blend of a barrel-fermented saison and a sour red ale, refermented on nectarines and peaches. Finally, Maker of Things foeder-aged red sour ale makes its return, also available in 1.75 liter magnum bottles. Full details at facebook.com/littlefishbrewing
Cincinnati area craft beer enthusiasts should be very pleased with the wide variety of Black Friday releases:
- MadTree’s vault sale will include more than two dozen beers, including four year verticals of Joon gin barrel aged kölsch and Coffee & Vanilla Axis Mundi Russian imperial stout.
- Brink Barrel Aged Double Oaked Imperial Moozie milk stout bottle release.
- Listermann bottle release: Discrepancies imperial stout (vanilla and coconut graham cracker variants) and Imperial Chickow brown ale (double vanilla and peach brandy variants).
- Streetside Brewery can release: #Blessed New England IPA and John Lemon lemon meringue milkshake IPA.
- Rhinegeist bottle release: Skeleton Brut IPA with grape must in red and white varieties.
- Sonder Sunrise Lemon Icing Berliner weisse cans and Taken For Pome-Granted pomegranate liqueur barrel aged sour bottles.
- Draft-only releases: two Oreo cookie-infused beers from Grainworks, Little Miami Prancer gingerbread ale and Blitzen Scottish ale, Swine City’s Blackout Stout Day (10 stouts on tap).
Several exciting Black Friday releases are planned around the Miami Valley:
- Branch & Bone’s Waltz of Shadows, an English Barleywine aged in Woodford Double Oaked bourbon barrels for 13 months, will go on sale at noon.
- Crooked Handle will offer a box set that includes a bottle of Roadside peanut butter porter, a bottle of Krooked Kringle holiday ale and a gift card redeemable for a crowler fill.
- Alematic will release three variants of Paint it Black IPA on draft at their Huber Heights taproom.
- Fifth Street Brewpub will release bottles of Mint Cookie stout with raspberry on Black Friday and the original Mint Cookie stout on Small Business Saturday.