Ohio Brewery News
One of the most endearing things about craft brewing is how small breweries collaborate and cooperate, learning from each other to hone their craft and elevate the industry as a whole. This Saturday, Dec. 14, frequent collaborators Sideswipe Brewing, Lineage Brewing and Ill Mannered Brewing will release their newest creation, Local Conglomerate, at Sideswipe’s west Columbus taproom. The hazy New England-style IPA will be available in canned four-packs while supplies last. Get details on the release at facebook.com/sideswipebrewing
- Today, Pretentious Barrel House will release bottles of Magnanimous dark sour ale aged in Middle West Spirits honey vanilla bean bourbon barrels.
- Hoof Hearted Brewing will release cans of Who’d Like to Hold My Clipboard pineapple marshmallow frappé DIPA and Most People Can’t Handle the High Bass triple IPA today at their Marengo taproom.
- Pastuzo orange marmalade pale ale arrived this week on draft and in six-packs at Land-Grant Brewing Company in Franklinton.
- Nocterra released Pas de Deux, a hybrid rosé ale brewed with Zinfandel grapes, on draft at the brewery taproom in Powell this week.
Cheers to five years of beers from Brick and Barrel Brewing! The party starts today at their taproom in the Flats and features a draft list heavy with Brick and Barrel favorites and unique variants. Three special casks will be tapped, including a black IPA dry hopped with Centennial and Cascade, a chocolate stout and Rally Possum imperial brown ale dry hopped with Amarillo. See the full tap list at facebook.com/brickandbarrel
- Crooked Pecker Brewing Company released cans of Colorado Ben New England-style IPA and Bona Fide Traveler IPA, available for a limited time at their Chagrin Falls taproom.
- Hansa Brewery teased a Mexican mocha version of their oak-aged imperial stout, possibly hitting the taps this weekend at their Ohio City brewpub.
- Fat Head’s tapped A Special Wish Ale, a Belgian-style wheat ale, at all three northeast Ohio locations. A portion of the sales will benefit A Special Wish Foundation’s Cleveland chapter.
- This week, Noble Beast tapped NW Amber, brewed with wild Neo-Mexicanus hops, at their brewpub in downtown Cleveland.
Five area breweries will offer up some unique, small batch beers at the inaugural Lager Heads Firkin Fest this Saturday, Dec. 14. Representatives from Akronym Brewing, Blue Heron Brewery, the Butcher and the Brewer, HiHO Brewing Co. and Lager Heads (of course) will be on hand to talk with attendees about their unique creations and cask infusions. The tasting event will run from 2-5 p.m. at the Lager Heads brewery taproom in Medina. Details at facebook.com/lagerheadsbrewingcompany
- Cheers to two years of beers from Noble Creature Cask House! Special beer releases start on Wednesday, Dec. 18 and run through Saturday, Dec. 21.
- Modern Methods Brewing will have bottles of rum barrel aged Babcia Baltic porter for sale this Saturday, Dec. 14 at their downtown Warren taproom.
- This week, Hudson’s Hop Tree Brewing tapped two new beers: Puebla Porter, brewed with poblano and chipotle peppers, and Sourkist, a cherry limeade kettle sour ale.
- Lockport Brewery added a new beer to their draft list this week: Profound Warlock peanut butter coffee Baltic porter is on tap now at the brewpub in Bolivar.
This Saturday, Dec. 14, Father John’s Microbrewery in Bryan will open their doors to several northwest Ohio breweries for their Holiday Beer Fest. Participating Ohio Craft Brewers Association members include 4kd Crick Brewery (Defiance), Drop Tine Brewery (Montpelier), Findlay Brewing Company, Inside the Five Brewing (Sylvania), The Laird Arcade Brewery (Tiffin), Maumee Bay Brewing Company (Toledo), Twin Oast Brewing (Port Clinton) and Two Bandits Brewing (Hicksville). Tasting starts at 4 p.m., details at facebook.com/fatherjohns
- The Laird Arcade Brewery has released Screamin’ Mimi red ale in cans for the first time, available now at the brewery taproom in Tiffin.
- Inside the Five Brewing donated Toledo Zoo memberships to 25 northwest Ohio families through Mom’s House, a non-profit that provides resources and guidance to help at-risk single parents achieve educational goals.
Saturday, Dec. 14 is Bison Day, the annual celebration of the release of Bison imperial stout at Homestead Beer Company in Heath. Not only does the original Bison stout hit the taps for the first time this year, but Homestead will also feature barrel aged versions from 2016-2019. Enjoy a vertical flight and see how this beer develops character over time. Bottles of this year’s Bison and barrel aged Bison will be available to-go, as well as Royal Tannenbaum (a blend of Bison and Tannenbaum winter warmer ale). Get all the details at facebook.com/homesteadbeerco
- Jackie O’s Brewery released bottles of Champion Ground bourbon barrel aged coffee stout, Coconut Champion Ground, and Black Mask bourbon barrel aged stout with coffee, cacao nibs and vanilla today at their Athens taproom and public house locations.
- Cheers to two years of beers from Wooly Pig Farm Brewery in Fresno! They’ll tap the ceremonial wooden keg of their anniversary beer at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14.
Normally when a brewery releases a beer named in tribute to a musician or band, I do the best I can to fill a blurb with puns on their song names. Fretboard Brewing, however, beat me to the punch with the announcement of the release of Rush helles lager. If you’re a Rush fan, it’ll be a fun read for you. If you’re not, well, you should roll the bones on this crushable beer anyway. Available on draft at Fretboard’s taproom in Blue Ash starting today.
- Turn This Bus Around, the Listermann/Weldwerks collaboration imperial pastry stout loaded with vanilla, cinnamon, coconut and coffee, goes on sale in bottles on Tuesday, Dec. 17 at 10 a.m.
- Grainworks Brewing will release cans of Luke, I Am Your Lager, an “imperial” black lager, on Tuesday, Dec. 17 at their taproom in West Chester.
- HighGrain Brewing will tap Humbolt, a chocolate coffee blonde stout on Thursday, Dec. 19 at their Silverton brewpub.
- This week, Fifty West Brewing released Snack Attack peanut butter cup stout in cans, available for a limited time at the brewpub and at select southwest Ohio retailers.
Whiskey Rebellion Day marks the unofficial beginning of stout season in the Miami Valley. Warped Wing Brewing’s highly anticipated annual bourbon barrel aged stout bottle release happens this Saturday, Dec. 14 at noon at the brewery in downtown Dayton. In addition to the original Whiskey Rebellion barrel aged stout, a peach, vanilla and caramel variant will be for sale, as well as an apricot and honey variant. A very limited amount of Whiskey Rebellion Century Reserve, aged in specially selected bourbon barrels, will be available while supplies last. Get all the details at facebook.com/warpedwing
- Branch & Bone Artisan Ales will release Cosmic Slop IPA, Morning Candle breakfast imperial milk stout and L’Internationale wine barrel aged historic biere de garde on Saturday, Dec. 14 at their Dayton taproom.
- Welcome Rhetoric Brewing in Richwood, the newest member of the Ohio Craft Brewers Association and latest addition to the Ohio On Tap brewery passport app!