Ohio Brewery News
Seventh Son Brewing has teamed up with the Columbus Coffee Festival and ColumbusUnderground.com to host Brewed, a coffee beer tasting party on Sunday, Dec. 8 at their taproom in Italian Village. Seven central Ohio breweries will be on hand at the festival pouring coffee beers of various styles. Attendees will receive a commemorative glass and will be able to sample food from local vendors. Tickets for the 2 p.m. session are sold out, but tickets to the noon session are still available. Details at facebook.com/seventhsonbrewing
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing and the Ohio State University Department of Microbiology will hold an all-day sour beer symposium on Friday, Dec. 13.
- Columbus Brewing Company’s Tracksuit Santa, a holiday ale brewed with fresh orange peel, fresh ginger and cinnamon, is now pouring at the brewery taproom.
- Catch Me If You Can gingerbread infused sour and Holly Brubarb strawberry rhubarb sour will be tapped on Saturday, Dec. 7 at Somewhere in Particular Brewing.
- Rough Hewn schwarzbier, a German-style black lager, is now available on draft at Combustion Brewery in Pickerington.
Winter Warmer Fest’s sponsoring breweries have turned the annual event into a Cleveland institution with an unparalleled beer list (look for that in late February). This year’s top sponsors include Bookhouse Brewing, Catawba Island Brewing, Columbus Brewing Company, Fat Head’s Brewery, Great Lakes Brewing Company, Masthead Brewing, Wolf’s Ridge Brewing and Sonder Brewing, which will be making its Winter Warmer debut. The fest will once again be held at Windows on the River on Saturday, March 7, 2020. Get the full brewery list and secure your tickets at ohiocraftbeer.org/winter-warmer-fest
- Stout Season, the new American-style stout from Bookhouse Brewing, hits the taps at their Ohio City tasting room today.
- Saucy Brew Works will tap El Churro Mexican chocolate stout on Saturday, Dec. 7 with cans hitting distribution throughout Ohio next week.
- Double Wing Brewing’s New England India Pale Ale will be available in cans starting Tuesday, Dec. 9.
- Avon Brewing tapped their Bourbon Barrel Aged Christmas MiraCLE, a 14.3% behemoth of a holiday ale, this week at their brewpub in Avon.
HiHO Brewing Co. is jumping into the world of packaging with today’s release of HiHAZYHO, their first canned beer. This New England-style IPA made with Citra and Simcoe hops, a draft favorite for some time, is now available in 16 ounce cans for enjoyment outside the Cuyahoga Falls taproom. Stop in today and pick up your four-pack starting at 3 p.m. Details at facebook.com/hihobrewingco
- The Phoenix Brewing Company has canned Ferryman oatmeal milk stout, available now at their taproom in Mansfield.
- They didn’t go berzerk, they simply solved a problem… We Needed a Coffin Belgian quad is on tap now at MadCap Brew Co. in Kent.
- Noble Creature Cask House tapped Conduit Munich dunkel this week at their brewpub in Youngstown.
- ICYMI: North Canton’s Shale Brewing tapped Hazy Daze of Christmas, a winter warmer ale clocking in at a hefty 9.0% ABV.
Fans of The Tiffin Brewery can now enjoy their beer in bottles. Starting this week, the brewery has begun selling 22 oz. bomber bottles of eight varieties from their taproom, ranging from a clean, crisp Czech pilsner to juicy IPAs to a smoked porter. Bottles are available for carryout while supplies last. Check out the full lineup at facebook.com/thetiffinbrewery
‘Tis the season for Three Tigers Brewing to tap Santa’s Beard Curler, their highly anticipated annual Belgian dark strong ale brewed with currants and cherries. This Saturday, Dec. 7 during the Granville Christmas Candlelight Walking Tour from 1-9 p.m., Three Tigers will donate $1 from every pint of Santa’s Beard Curler sold to their holiday toy drive for Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Get more details on the day’s events at facebook.com/threetigersbrewing
It’s been a pretty busy week at Rhinegeist. Yesterday, Brewbound announced that Rhinegeist won their 2019 Craft Brewery of the Year award in recognition of their continued growth as a regional brewery and their upcoming Employee Stock Ownership Plan. Bottles of barrel aged Ink imperial stout – along with three Ink variants – are on sale now at the taproom in Over-the-Rhine and will see distribution next week. On Saturday, Dec. 7, Rhinegeist will celebrate Dad Day, their annual flannel-clad festivities centered around the return of Dad hoppy holiday ale. Dad Day details at facebook.com/rhinegeist
- Urban Artifact will release bottles of barrel aged Pickle gose this weekend in a holiday gift set including a branded dimple mug.
- The newest Cincinnati taproom-exclusive brew from Samuel Adams is a German Exportbier called Stay Golden, Pony Keg.
- Son of a Nutcracker, a spiced, vanilla winter ale, is back on tap at The Common Beer Company in Mason.
- Sons of Toil Brewing tapped their Chocolate Raspberry Imperial Stout this past week at the brewery tasting room in Mount Orab.
This blog has given a ton of coverage to releases of Christmas ales, holiday beers, winter warmers, etc. – they are Ohio traditions, after all – but we also like to recognize the breweries that fly in the face of those traditions and buck conventional wisdom. Yellow Springs Brewery will release cans of Raise the Sails today, a crisp American lager that’s more reminiscent of summer but with a flavor that pairs well with any season. Like, say, winter. Read more at facebook.com/yellowspringsbrewery