Ohio Brewery News
- The Greater Columbus area will welcome two brand new breweries this weekend. Today marks the first day of business for Nostalgia Brewing in Gahanna, which occupies the former Pigskin Brewing space in the Creekside complex. Then on Saturday, Nocterra Brewing will hold their grand opening celebration in Powell. Both breweries are now part of the Ohio On Tap statewide passport app, available for free download for iPhone and Android devices.
- New hazy IPA and prickly pear Berliner Weisse on tap now at Lineage in Clintonville.
- Ill Mannered in Powell tapped three varieties of Audible Groan barleywine this week.
- Tangerine Tornado wheat ale on tap now at The Ram in Dublin.
- Tickets still available for Columbus Winter Beerfest at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, Feb. 8-9.
- Pre-game before The Big Game on Sunday, Feb. 3 at Noble Beast Brewing’s Low and Slow Fest. 12 Cleveland breweries will be on hand pouring lagers and smoke beers, paired with a menu of smoked and slow roasted meats from Noble Beast’s kitchen. Ticket holders will receive a seven-ounce branded tasting glass and 20 beer sample tickets; food specials are priced a la carte. To purchase tickets and see the full list of participating breweries, beers on tap and food menu, visit facebook.com/noblebeastbrewingco
- Platform releases Lemon Limeaid session sour cans on Saturday, Feb. 2 at all taproom locations.
- Hofbrauhaus Cleveland to tap Hopfen Spezial unfiltered lager on Wednesday, Feb. 6.
- Double Wing 2018 Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout available now in bombers and on draft at tasting room in Madison.
- Market Garden Cabernet barrel aged Cap-Lifter Belgian quad available on draft and in bottles at brewery store in Ohio City.
- Millersburg Brewing Company’s Back Country Burning Russian imperial stout got double the barrel treatment this year. Two batches were prepared for today’s can release: one aged in maple bourbon barrels, the other in rum barrels. Because you’re definitely going to want to try these side-by-side for comparison, each four-pack include two cans each of the maple bourbon barrel and rum barrel variants. Available while supplies last at the Millersburg Brewing Company taproom. Details at facebook.com/millersburgbrewingcompany
- Numbers Brewing celebrates third anniversary in Lisbon with new brewery buildout and distribution expansion.
- Lockport Brewery’s new Baller Hop Lager available on draft now at taproom in Bolivar.
- Lager Heads releases Kilt Em All Scottish-style ale in cans and on draft at brewery taproom in Medina.
- Torches & Hammers hazy IPA on tap now at Missing Mountain Brewing in Cuyahoga Falls.
- The state of Ohio has many official symbols, from the state flower (red carnation), to the state insect (ladybug), to the state rock song (“Hang On Sloopy”). Surprisingly, Ohio has no official state candy, but we’ve got to believe that the buckeye – for our out-of-state readers, that’s a peanut butter ball almost entirely covered by chocolate – would be a shoo-in if the state legislature were to consider it. Findlay Brewing Company is celebrating the unofficial state candy with their Buckeye Porter, garnished with – you guessed it – a handmade buckeye. Learn more at facebook.com/findlaybrewing
- Floodwall brut IPA now on tap at The Laird Arcade Brewery in Tiffin.
- Flatrock Brewery in Napoleon is featuring Apple Caramel Brown Ale for today’s Firkin Friday tapping.
- Not to be outdone on the beer and sweets front, Little Fish Brewing is serving up a beer-centric dessert from the new kitchen in their Athens taproom. Adding a scoop of house-made vanilla ice cream to the brewery’s Lil’ Harvey milk stout makes a Lil’ Harvey float, complete with a glass rimmed with pepitas and pralines. Little Fish plans to serve this delectable treat year-round to complement their locally sourced food menu. Learn more at facebook.com/littlefishbrewing
- Devil’s Kettle has begun to roll out dry-hopped versions of their flagship Spider Silk imperial blonde ale at their Athens taproom.
- Slice of Life key lime pie NEIPA now on tap at Sixth Sense Brewing in Jackson.
- The first modern craft brewery in Ohio to offer beer in cans was Cincinnati’s MadTree Brewing, whose first six-packs hit the shelves in 2013. Six years later, the craft brewing industry in Ohio looks vastly different, growing from approximately 60 breweries to almost 300 today. With many of those breweries offering canned beer, MadTree has redesigned their cans to stand out among the many craft offerings currently available. The new cans incorporate the color and design elements of the old package with some stylistic choices that reflect MadTree’s brand (like the arched top that represents their current brewing facility, opened in 2017). Read all about it at thegnarlygnome.com
- Sons of Toil Brewing in Mount Orab added to Ohio On Tap passport, Cherry Sour and Breakfast Stout on tap now.
- Christian Moerlein to tap 2019 Schoenling Bock today at their Malt House taproom in Over-The-Rhine.
- Fretboard teams up with ArtsWave to make We Are The Arts Ohio artisan lager, can release on Wednesday, Feb. 6.
- 3 Points Urban Brewery releases SHOAL, a stout featuring spices used in Cincinnati chili.
- Experimentation is one of the pillars upon which the craft beer industry is built. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there’s a hop varietal named after Frank Zappa, the all-time champ of experimental rock ‘n’ roll freakouts. Branch & Bone Artisan Ales – no strangers to pushing boundaries themselves – paired Zappa and Cashmere hops to create Pygmy Twilight, a double dry-hopped pale ale taking its name from a mid-‘70’s Frank Zappa live staple. Available on draft at Branch & Bone’s Dayton taproom. Get details at facebook.com/branchandboneales
- Blueberry Haze NEIPA on tap now at Hairless Hare Brewery in Vandalia.
- Roundhouse Depot tapping Infrabel saison today at the brewery taproom in Bellfontaine.