Ohio Weekly Roundup
Cheers to three years of beers from Hoof Hearted Brewery & Kitchen! The Columbus offshoot of the irreverent Marengo brewery will celebrate with a cowboy-themed birthday party on Saturday, March 30. Can release tickets for three new beers – Cowboy Konkey Dong double IPA, Fruit on the Bottom sour IPA and It’s Not My First Rodeo, It’s My Second triple IPA – are sold out, but Hoof Hearted will have a special draft list for the event. Suit up in your best cowpoke duds, have some barbecue, challenge the mechanical bull and enjoy the western party. Details at facebook.com/hoofheartedbreweryandkitchen
- Zaftig Brewing’s maple syrup bourbon barrel aged BamBaLam breakfast stout will be released in bottles today at their Worthington taproom.
- Endeavor Brewing’s Columbus Crew supporter beer, Saved golden ale, is now available in 16 oz. cans at their Grandview taproom.
- Ill Mannered Brewing’s Cup Check lager is on tap now at their tasting room in Powell, just in time for the 2019 baseball season.
- Parsons North Brewing tapped two new beers this past week, a Mulberry Saison and a West Coast IPA.
Sorry if this week’s post seems a little sports heavy, but your humble narrator gets very excited for the return of baseball every spring. Saucy Brew Works knows that beer and baseball are inextricably linked, hence the release of Take Me Out summer IPA on Monday, April 1 (the same day as Cleveland’s home opener against the Chicago White Sox). This refreshing, hoppy brew will be on draft at Saucy’s Ohio City taproom. Have a pint, watch the game and rally together. Details at facebook.com/saucybrewworkscle
- Next week, Avon Brewing will tap Dawgs Gotta Eat hazy IPA in honor of new Cleveland Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr.
- Not to be outdone, Hofbräuhaus Cleveland will tap their own tribute beer, O’Bockham, on Wednesday, April 3.
- Hansa Brewery’s Pink Boots Society collaboration beer, SMASHing The Glass Ceiling, is on tap now at the Ohio City brewpub.
- The Butcher & the Brewer’s collaboration multigrain saison with HiHO Brewing, Calliopes and Clowns, is on tap now at the downtown brewpub.
Magic City Brewing Company has filed an application to transfer their brewer’s permit from their current Barberton facility to a new location a few miles east in Akron. The move to a larger building will allow for an increase in production capacity: owner Jay Graham plans to add additional seven barrel fermenting tanks and wood foeders to help the popular brewery keep up with taproom demand. Magic City also plans to offer food at the new Akron location, an amenity not currently offered in Barberton. Read the full story at ohio.com
- Modern Methods Brewing in Warren, birthplace of musician and caffeine aficionado Dave Grohl, will release FRESH POTS! Imperial coffee stout today at 6 p.m.
- Biker Brewhouse, the world’s only craft brewery located inside a Harley-Davidson dealership, will soon offer four of their beers in six-pack bottles.
- Photosynthesaurus, the new imperial IPA from Hop Tree Brewing, is on tap now at the brewery’s tasting room in Hudson.
- This week, Millersburg Brewing tapped Tangilicious, a malt beverage brewed with tangerine purée and all-natural tangerine flavors.
If you’ve never lived on the frozen shores of Lake Erie, then you’ve probably never experienced an ice shove. Strong winds and changing temperatures can cause sheets of ice to surge from the lake onto land with destructive power and a terrifying sound not unlike rolling thunder. The brewers at Twin Oast on Catawba Island have seen it firsthand, and brewed Ice Shove, a Belgian-style white IPA with apple and rosemary in tribute. Cans of Ice Shove will be available at the brewery starting Saturday, March 30. Details at facebook.com/twinoast
Jackie O’s Brewery is holding a bottle release of four beers today at their locations in Athens. Quatrefoil is a blend of one- to three-year-old oak aged sour blond ales conditioned on apricots. Livelihood is a sour ale fermented with their proprietary saison blend and bottle conditioned for 6 months. You’re in the Jungle, Baby is a collaboration with Evil Twin Brewing made with honey, aged in bourbon barrels, and conditioned on Mexican cacao nibs, vanilla beans, pasilla chilies and orange peel. A coffee variant of You’re in the Jungle, Baby is also available exclusively at the production brewery taproom. Details at facebook.com/jackieosbrewery
The Brewers Association released their list of the fastest growing craft breweries in America this past week and Fifty West Brewing slotted in at number 49. Last year, Fifty West topped IRI’s list of new craft brewery sales in supermarkets, signaling significant 2018 growth for the Cincinnati brewery. As to their position on the BA list, owner Bobby Slattery said “50 would have been a little more fitting being Fifty West, but we’ll take 49.” The brewery also rolled their millionth can of beer off their production line this week. Read the full story at ohio.com
- Fretboard Brewing will release S23 pale ale today; a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Behind the Badge Heroes Fund.
- MadTree Brewing’s new brut rosé IPA, Brunch So Hard, will be released in cans and on draft at the brewery taproom on Saturday, March 30.
- Monday, April 1 is the deadline to get extra “early adopter” perks in Fibonacci Brewing’s mug club.
- Municipal Brew Works has tapped Walk in the Park pilsner for the 2019 baseball season.
Cheers to a year of beer from Devil Wind Brewing! The Xenia brewery will celebrate their anniversary on Saturday, March 30 with a trio of special draft releases: Run to the Pils Czech-style pilsner, Buccaneer American lager and City of Hospitality double IPA brewed with Mosaic hops. A limited number of special 20 ounce pilsner glasses will be available for purchase when the doors open at noon. Get all the details on the festivities at facebook.com/devilwindbrewing