Ohio Brewery News
Cheers to four years of beers from Lineage Brewing! The beloved Clintonville brewery will commemorate the occasion on Saturday, April 27 with a celebration of Aunt Bernice, their versatile Berliner Weisse that has seen many fruit additions over the years. Lineage will have a special flight of Bernice variants available all day, as well as a “Hoppy Birthday” IPA flight and a barrel-aged beer flight. There will also be an Aunt Bernice costume contest with prizes awarded to the best interpretations of their favorite beer flavor. Details at facebook.com/lineagebrewing
- Schmidt’s Sausage Haus and Platform Beer Co. have teamed up to release Peanut Butter Fudge Puff maibock; on tap at Schmidt’s today, cans at Platform on Saturday, April 27.
- Zaftig’s Ol’ Rugger Russian imperial stout draft and bottle release will happen on Saturday, April 27 at the brewery taproom in Worthington.
- Ill Mannered to hold First Annual Alternative Sports Extravaganza Palooza Fest on Saturday, April 27 in Powell.
- North High Brewing will feature a night of roasted foods and beers at their Short North taproom as part of COSI’s Science Fest on Thursday, May 2.
Earlier this week, Great Lakes Brewing Company teased a photo of a new canned beer release, with only the words “This is a special small batch beer” visible. Today, they announced the introduction of their new small batch can series, recipes originally developed and tested on their two-barrel pilot brew system, then scaled up for limited release. The first entry in the series is a Mexican lager with lime. Six-packs are available at the Great Lakes gift shop now with limited distribution around Cleveland coming next week. More details at greatlakesbrewing.com
- The Brew Kettle is temporarily moving their production brewery to the former Fat Head’s facility on Sheldon Road in Middleburg Heights while they build a new brewery in Strongsville.
- Cheers to two years of beers from Terrestrial Brewing! The Battery Park brewery will celebrate on Saturday, April 27 with the release of Birthday Boi NEIPA and selections from the cellar.
- It’s gonna be May, so Hofbrauhaus Cleveland will tap their Maibock on Wednesday, May 1.
- Nano Brew has tapped their new Blood Orange Hazy IPA at their brewpub in Ohio City.
Maize Valley has released a new beer to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, the nation’s leading charity devoted to research toward prevention and cure for metastatic breast cancer. The new raspberry brut IPA is called Save the Tatas, and Maize Valley has pledged to donate one dollar from the sale of every pint to the Foundation for as long as the beer is on tap at their brewery in Hartville. Read more about it at Maize Valley’s Facebook page.
- Today, Numbers Brewing in Lisbon will tap #17 Local, made with local malt from Yarian Quality Malts.
- Paladin Brewing released their first sour beer for Youngstown Craft Beer Week, in collaboration with Noble Creature Cask House and Brew 32.
- Hop Tree Brewing tapped Ol’e Nessie, a peat smoked Scotch ale, this week at their tasting room in Hudson.
- UnHitched Brewing took delivery of their brewing equipment this week, aiming for a summer 2019 opening in Louisville.
If you’re looking for a kick-butt workout followed up by some kick-butt beer, Findlay Brewing Company is hosting a kickboxing class on Saturday, April 27. The class starts at 9:45 a.m., no pre-registration is required and the class fee includes a pint of beer to be served after your workout. All skill levels welcome, no experience necessary. Get more details at facebook.com/findlaybrewing
Today is Bwizzle Day, the inaugural celebration of barleywine at the Jackie O’s brewery taproom. The Athens brewery will have three new barleywines on tap and in bottles – Rodeo Time, Prodigality and Apple Brandy Brick Kiln – as well as an impressive list of barleywines on tap and several bottled selections from the Jackie O’s cellar. The brewery plans to make Bwizzle Day a weekend-long event, but supplies of some of these bottles are limited. Get all the details at facebook.com/jackieosbrewerytaproom
Sonder Brewing continues to pump out new canned beers. Today they will release four-packs of Mella, (the brewery’s first sour ale, flavored with passionfruit) and Cherry Frosted cherry milkshake IPA. Sonder now has seven to-go can options in four-packs or six-packs available at their brewery in Mason, in addition to crowlers of any beer on tap. Read more at facebook.com/sonderbrewing
- Swine City Brewing’s Pink Boots Society collaboration beer, I’m Not Your Babe Tropical Wheat, will be tapped today at the tasting room in Fairfield.
- Brink Brewing will release bottles of Kelly’s Candy barrel-aged barleywine on Saturday, April 27 at their College Hill taproom.
- 16 Lots Brewing will have two infused beers on tap this weekend in Mason: Lulu Latte blonde ale with coffee, hazelnut and lactose, and Subtropic Soak City IPA with mango and passionfruit.
- Run By Fruiting is the new golden ale from Taft’s Brewing Company, bursting with mango and passionfruit flavors.
Today is National Pretzel Day, so while looking into the history of the link between pretzels and beer, I learned:
- Board games that are light on strategy and high on randomness are referred to as “beer and pretzels games.”
- Beer & Pretzels is the name of a 1933 short film starring the Three Stooges as inept waiters at a nightclub.
- The pretzel’s American popularity dates back to the pre-Prohibition era when breweries would supply saloons with all of their business supplies in exchange for selling their beer exclusively. (The “tied-house” is now illegal in the U.S. in order to preserve consumer choice and protect independent retailers from undue influence by brewing conglomerates.)
OK, I’ll climb out of the rabbit hole… Crooked Handle Brewing in Springboro is offering up a flight of three pretzel-inspired beers to enjoy for National Pretzel Day. Details at facebook.com/crookedhandle