Ohio Brewery News
Columbus Craft Beer Week kicks off today! 68 venues will host more than 200 events from May 17 through May 25. Presenting sponsor Giant Eagle will host the official kickoff party tonight at Market District Grandview Yard with beers from 20 Ohio breweries on hand. Tomorrow, COSI will play host to the fifth annual Six One Pour: The Ohio Craft Beer Fest, where 50 Ohio breweries will be on hand pouring more than 170 unique beers. For info on all Columbus Craft Beer Week events, please visit columbusbeerweek.com. Below are just a few highlights of events at central Ohio breweries:
- Cheers to five years of beers from Zaftig Brewing! The celebration is tonight with a special tapping of Cashmeere Indulgence strawberry milkshake IPA.
- Endeavor Brewing will hold a women’s beer class in conjunction with the Columbus chapter of Girls Pint Out on Monday, May 20.
- Hops and malt get all the attention, but Nocterra Brewing will hold a tasting event to showcase the flavors imparted by different yeast strains on Wednesday, May 22.
- On Thursday, May 23, Ill Mannered Brewing will hold their second annual tribute beer night, brewing interpretations of other central Ohio breweries’ notable beers.
Great Lakes Brewing Company has teamed up with the rock band O.A.R. to brew The Mighty Lager, a sessionable amber lager named for the band’s new album, The Mighty, released earlier this year. O.A.R. has deep Ohio roots, as the current lineup coalesced while its members attended the Ohio State University. The beer will be available in cans for a limited time at retailers around Cleveland and Northeast Ohio, as well as at select shows during O.A.R.’s summer tour. For more details, visit greatlakesbrewing.com
- Railroad Brewing Company’s Hazy Crazy New England IPA will be released in cans at their Avon taproom on Saturday, May 18 in advance of a wider distribution release.
- Thirsty Dog East Bank will host Pups & Pints, a fundraising night to benefit Friends of the Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter on Thursday, May 23.
- Yesterday, Fat Head’s tapped Peanut Butter Scooby Snack, a sweet stout brewed on their small batch pilot system at their brewery in Middleburg Heights.
- Double Wing Brewing’s new Hazy Juicy IPA is available in cans at Cleveland-area retailers and at the tasting room in Madison.
Caktus, a collaboration double IPA from Royal Docks Brewing and R.Shea Brewing, will be released in cans on Monday, May 20. The beer features Ohio-grown pilsner malt, Calypso hops and blue agave cactus syrup, creating a robust flavor with elements of stone fruit and pine. Royal Docks will host the collaboration can release party at their North Canton brewpub on Monday, May 20. Get more details at facebook.com/royaldocksbrewing
- Classic car fans, take note: Modern Methods Brewing in Warren will hold a fundraiser for the National Packard Museum, featuring the release of Clipper IPA on Saturday, May 18.
- On Thursday, May 23, Hoppin’ Frog will release Pentuple, a Belgian-inspired beer reminiscent of a Tripel, but clocking in at a massive 15.4% ABV.
- This past week, Laxton Hollow Brewing Works, Ohio’s only all-cask ale brewery, has been sharing some fascinating educational pieces on Facebook about their unique brewing and serving processes.
- Last week, Hop Tree Brewing released their Hop Tree IPA and Golden Genesis golden ale in cans for the first time at their brewery taproom in Hudson.
It’s not that Flatrock Brewery dislikes the trend of hazy, juicy New England IPAs – in fact, brewer Lawrence Pritchard has been known to produce some excellent takes on the style – but there’s still demand for the aggressively hopped IPA that was popularized on the west coast and swept the nation as craft beer grew in popularity. In tribute to that now classic American style, Flatrock has released Going Back to Cali, an IPA double dry-hopped with Cascade, Mosaic and Simcoe hops. On draft now at their brewery tasting room in Napoleon.
Little Fish Brewing in Athens released three tart and funky beers in bottles today. Dirt Cred is billed as a “farmhouse malt liquor,” brewed with Ohio-grown barley, corn and rye, fermented with saison yeast and refermented in the bottle with house / local funky cultures. Dirt Cred is available in 1500 mL magnum bottles. Sunfish is a blend of barrel aged saisons, available in 750 mL bottles. Passionista, a barrel-aged sour wheat ale with passionfruit, is available in 500 mL bottles and a limited number of magnums. Get all the release details at facebook.com/littlefishbrewing
- Outerbelt Brewing announces the opening date for their brewery taproom: Saturday, June 8… or June 15, depending on how construction goes between now and then.
- Three Tigers Brewing in Granville teamed up with Delaware’s Restoration Brew Worx to create Smelly Pirate, a caramelized rum raising Belgian quad.
Cool Meditation, the third of Fretboard Brewing’s Reggae Series of imperial stouts, will be released in cans on Saturday, May 18. The release of this bourbon barrel aged peanut butter and chocolate stout will be soundtracked by regional roots reggae giants The Ark Band, who will be performing live that evening in the taproom. There is a very limited number of cans of Cool Meditation available, so be sure to stop by the brewery in Blue Ash to pick some up. Read more at facebook.com/fretboardbrewing
- Nine Giant is part of Pleasant Ridge’s Game of Thrones-themed pub crawl on Saturday, May 18, and will be serving up five GoT-inspired beers.
- Registration is open for Rhinegeist’s next Brewcademy class covering all things lager, to be held at the brewery in Over-the-Rhine on Thursday, May 30.
- March First Brewing released their Pink Boots Society collaboration brew this week. Fancy a Cuppa Builder’s Tea is an English mild ale brewed with Earl Grey tea and honey.
- Earlier this week, the Samuel Adams Cincinnati Taproom released their newest pub-exclusive brew, About Time, a raspberry sherbet IPA with lactose and vanilla.
Cheers to seven years of beers from the Dayton Beer Company! They’ll be celebrating on Saturday, May 18 with the release of seven – yes, seven – collaboration beers made with breweries from around the state, including Akronym, Devil Wind, Fifty West, Hairless Hare, HiHO, Pretentious Barrel House and Warped Wing. Several other special beers will be available on tap; fans of previous DBC anniversaries will be happy to know that there will be a few barrel aged rarities available as well. Get all the details at facebook.com/daytonbeerco