Ohio Brewery News
The second annual Ohio Craft Brewers Cup is in the books and Pretentious Barrel House walked away with the competition’s top honor. Magnanimous – the Columbus brewery’s wine barrel aged dark sour ale – was named Best in Show, topping the field of 368 entries from 62 Ohio breweries. The beer was the gold medal winner in the sour/wild beer category, the only medal won by Pretentious in the highly competitive field. Wolf’s Ridge Brewing scored highest in the competition, bringing home five total medals: two gold, two silver and one bronze. See the full results at ohiocraftbrewerscup.com
- Combustion Brewery in Pickerington will release Sundial summer wheat – now with blood orange – at their summer solstice party today.
- A fresh batch of Nuts For You peanut butter stout is now available in bottles at Zaftig Brewing in Worthington.
- Two new brews are on tap at Seventh Son this week: Et Sted, a fruity stout made with Citra hops and kveik yeast, and Boogie Strut, a double IPA with citrus and coconut.
- If you’re curious about sour beers and would like a 1 minute crash course, Wolf’s Ridge Brewing has produced a fun video explaining the process.
Cheers to five years of beers from Platform Beer Company! While the official festivities won’t be held until Thursday, July 4, Platform is celebrating their rapid growth and expansion around the state with a series of collaboration IPAs. Teaming up with breweries in each city where Platform has put down roots – Butcher and the Brewer in Cleveland, Land-Grant Brewing in Columbus and Streetside Brewery in Cincinnati – the resulting beers will be available in a mixed six pack at each Platform location starting Saturday, June 22. Read more at facebook.com/platformbeers
- Terrestrial Brewing’s third Conservation Series beer to benefit the Cleveland Zoological Society, You Bet Giraffe I Love You Belgian Tripel, will be tapped today.
- Saucy Brew Works collaborated with the Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs) to create Snobby Pils, tapped earlier this week.
- Cleveland will host this year’s Major League Baseball All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 9, and Collision Bend has tapped All Star Lager to celebrate.
- The fifth annual Beer Women Rock beer was brewed last week by women of the Cleveland craft beer industry at Brick and Barrel Brewing.
Cheers to a year of beer from Akronym Brewing! The celebration kicked off yesterday with the release of A Stout Summer Is Coming; anniversary beer releases are scheduled throughout the weekend, including collaborations with Missing Mountain Brewing and Masthead Brewing. The downtown Akron brewery will also feature food trucks, live music and brewery yoga sessions through Sunday, June 23. Get all the details on beer releases and special events at facebook.com/akronymbrewing
- Magic City Brewing is on the move. Their last day in Barberton is Saturday, June 22; first day at their new location at 2727 Manchester Road in Akron is Friday, June 28.
- Sandy Springs Brewing will release their once-a-year signature brew, Happy Sappy spiced maple ale, today at their brewpub in Minerva.
- Head brewer Dylan Hamilton will celebrate his one year anniversary at Canton Brewing Company today.
- Welcome Lock 15 Brewing, the newest member of the Ohio Craft Brewers Association! Visit their Akron brewpub and get your stamp on the Ohio On Tap passport app.
Ohio’s original church-turned-brewery, Father John’s Microbrewery turns six years old today. There are now five breweries in repurposed houses of worship statewide: Father John’s in Bryan, Urban Artifact and Taft’s Ale House in Cincinnati, Noble Creature Cask House in Youngstown and the soon-to-open Moeller Brew Barn location in Troy. The pantheistic brewery – the cross-shaped bar is under the watchful eye of a large bronze Buddha statue – will celebrate their anniversary tonight with live music and fresh craft beer. Read more at facebook.com/fatherjohns
- Cheers to a year of beer from Drop Tine Winery & Tap House! The festivities will be held on Saturday, June 22 at their brewpub in Montpelier, just up the road from Father John’s. (Ohio On Tap road trip, anyone?)
- Two Bandits Brewing tapped The Flamethrower, their strawberry habanero ale, this week at their brewpub in Hicksville.
Cheers to four years of beers from Devil’s Kettle Brewing! The Athens brewery will kick off their celebration on Saturday, June 22 at noon with several new beers being released throughout the day. The most prominent release is DKIV, Devil’s Kettle’s fourth anniversary beer, a blend of four mixed fermentation golden ales dating back to the first beers produced by the brewery. Read more at facebook.com/devilskettlebrewing
- Our hearts go out to the family of Steve Mault, owner and founder of The Portsmouth Brewing Company, who passed away this week at the age of 76.
- Rockmill Brewery, the Wallonian-inspired farm brewery outside of Lancaster, has been added to the Ohio On Tap brewery passport app. Check their website for weekend operating hours: rockmillbrewery.com
Tickets are still available for That’s My Jam, a festival celebrating fruited beer to be held at Streetside Brewery on Saturday, June 22. Fruited beers from 20 Ohio breweries will be poured at the event, along with a special can release of Swole, a tropical fruit Berliner Weisse made in collaboration with the Cincinnati Craft Beer Club. A portion of event proceeds will benefit Adventure Crew, a non-profit that helps connect Cincinnati teens with outdoor activities and nature experiences. Learn more at facebook.com/streetsidebrewery
- Fibonacci Brewing’s Summer Solstice Fest will be held on Friday, June 21, with the release of several variants of their Compton Cream Ale.
- Brink Brewing will release their new Peaches & Blueberry Creme Sour today at their College Hill taproom.
- Urban Artifact will release six variants of their Paperweight apricot midwest fruit tart beer on Saturday, June 22.
- Micro Brass, the Vienna, er, Cincinnati lager from Fretboard Brewing, will make it’s 2019 season debut on Thursday, June 27.
The Miami Valley is still recovering after the violent tornadoes that struck the region last month. Area breweries have been collecting money for relief efforts through the Dayton Foundation, and will hold a major fundraiser on Saturday, July 13. The Dayton Strong Beer Bash will be held at Carillon Historical Park and feature beers from 30 breweries, as well as live music and food. All proceeds from the event will be donated to the Dayton Area Brewers Tornado Relief Fund #8338. Get more details at facebook.com/daytonaletrail