Ohio Brewery News
If you’re not familiar with the term “hazebro,” you’re probably at least a little familiar with the New England-style or hazy IPA, the unfiltered, restrained bitterness, juicy hop-forward style that has swept the nation the last few years. The NEIPA enthusiast, known colloquially as a hazebro, can look forward to a new iteration from Sideswipe Brewing on Saturday, June 8. Bro Haze Bro, a New England double IPA, will be available in cans and on draft when the brewery opens at 1 p.m. Details at facebook.com/sideswipebrewing
- Nocterra Brewing will have a luau today to commemorate the can release of Hawaiian Swell Line fruited gose.
- Antiques on High released their first canned beer, Tessera hazy IPA, this past Wednesday.
- 2 Tones Brewing released Whitehall Light pilsner, a taproom exclusive brew this past weekend.
- This week, Restoration Brew Worx tapped Grunge, a throwback IPA featuring classic Pacific Northwest hop varietals: Chinook, Centennial, Cascade and Columbus.
Cheers to two years of beers from Working Class Brewery! The labor-centric craft brewery in Cleveland’s Kamm’s Corners neighborhood will celebrate on Saturday, June 8 with a tapping of their first double IPA, The Mailman. With an ABV of 9% and “too many IBUs to print,” The Mailman is guaranteed to deliver. On top of it all, the brewery will offer a special price for postal employees during the celebration. Get more details at facebook.com/ohioworkingclassbrewery
- This past week, Bookhouse Brewing released Whoops, Even Juicier, their newest New England IPA.
- Looking for actual juice? Shandy Shores blood orange shandy from The Brew Kettle is making its debut in cans this week.
- ICYMI: Sibling Revelry teamed up with retired Cleveland Cavaliers power forward Channing Frye to brew Frye-PA; cans still available at the brewery and at Cleveland-area retailers.
- Terrestrial Brewing’s collaboration with HiHO Brewing, S.I.M.C.O.E. IPA, and Terrestrial’s latest zoo benefit beer, Generations? Brett saison, are on tap now.
Wadsworth Brewing Company is celebrating Pride Month – this year commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots – starting with today’s tapping of Born This Way, a raspberry pale ale collaboration brew made with Missing Falls Brewery. A portion of the proceeds from this beer will be donated to the Summa Health Pride Clinic to benefit the unique health needs of the LGBTQ community. Read more at facebook.com/wadsworthbrewingcompany
- Cheers to a year of beer from Missing Mountain Brewing in Cuyahoga Falls! Today they will release Speed Wobble and Wes Mantooth, two new hazy IPAs in cans.
- This week, Royal Docks released Assimcolation, an IPA brewed with Simcoe hops and peach juice, in cans and on draft.
- The Phoenix Brewing Company in Mansfield is now open on Tuesdays.
- Shale Brewing Company in North Canton is now open on Sundays.
Earnest Brew Works continues to push more cans and bottles out from their South Toledo brewery. Between the Limes, a hazy tart lime IPA with Citra, Mosaic and Motueka hops will be released in 16 ounce cans on Saturday, June 8. At the same time, Earnest will release 12 ounce bottles of CEDAR Turkish coffee stout, a 13.2% ABV monster, brewed with Arabica coffee and cardamom. Read more about these new brews on Rick Armon’s Ohio Beer Blog at ohio.com
The Ohio brewing community lost a good friend and a great man this week. Patrick Gangwer, head brewer at Three Tigers Brewing in Granville and former brewer at Jackie O’s and Kindred, passed away on June 3 at the age of 41 after being diagnosed with stomach cancer. Several events have been planned to honor his memory and raise funds for the Gangwer family, including the Gangwarrior Throwdown to be held on Sunday, June 23 at Dankhouse Brewing in Newark. Get more details at gangwarriors.com
- Doug Beedy, former brewmaster at Elevator Brewing in Columbus, is now making beer at Southside Brewing in Cambridge, in addition to being brewmaster at Penguin City in Youngstown and lending his expertise to the two Ohio Brewing Company locations currently in the works.
- Double Edge Brewing will tap Overhaul, their new dry-hopped pilsner, today at their brewery tasting room in Lancaster.
Cheers to three years of beers from Municipal Brew Works! The anniversary weekend party kicks off today at the brewery in Hamilton with limited run six-pack cans of their best-selling beers: Approachable Blonde, Orange Agave Blonde and Scout IPA. On Saturday, Municipal will open at 10 a.m. for the bottle release of their third anniversary double IPA, followed by special small batch beer tappings on the hour starting at noon. Get all the details at facebook.com/municipalbrewworks
- Today, Rivertown Brewery will release SprinkAle, their collaboration beer made with the Butler County Donut Trail.
- Cheers to a year of beer from 3 Points Urban Brewery! Celebrate with them on Saturday, June 8 with beer releases, limited edition art glassware giveaways and more.
- Swine City Brewing will release Nuxy 41, a light Altbier, on Saturday June 8 to honor the 75th anniversary of Joe Nuxhall’s first pitch for the Cincinnati Reds (when he was just 14 years old!)
- West Side Brewing will release a special run of their Common Ale cans to celebrate Pride Month, with a portion of the sales to benefit the Human Rights Campaign.
Outdoor enthusiasts, take note: Mother Stewart’s Brewing Company has teamed up with Tomfoolery Outdoors to hold the Mother of All Adventure Weekends starting Saturday, June 8 at the brewery in Springfield. In addition to yard games, climbing wall Twister, a kayak rodeo and many other activities, Mother Stewart’s will release Weekend Warrior Tropical Wit on draft and in cans. A portion of proceeds from Weekend Warrior sales will go to support outdoor recreation focused non-profits in the Miami Valley. Read more at facebook.com/motherstewarts