Ohio Brewery News
All beer is a balance between bitterness generally imparted by hops and sweetness derived from sugars released from malted grain. The continued success of the IPA style has raised public awareness of the multitude of hop varieties available, but the flavors contributed by different malts can often still be a mystery even to the most dedicated craft beer drinkers. Join representatives from Origin Malt at Seed to Sip, an educational beer tasting session at North High Brewing on Saturday, July 20 at 11 a.m. Learn more and reserve your tickets at facebook.com/northhighbrewing
- Blackberry Jamble, the refreshing summer seasonal blackberry ale from Land-Grant Brewing, will be released today on draft and in cans.
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing is releasing two new sour beers and will hold a pairing event featuring sorbet and donuts on Saturday, July 20.
- Pretentious Barrel House will hold their Holidays in the Heat charity toy drive on Sunday, July 28 at their east Columbus taproom.
- Ill Mannered Brewing tapped Tremendous Slouch, a 9% ABV Scottish Wee Heavy, at their taproom in Powell this week.
This week, Boss Dog Brewing teased a video of them moving a canning line into their Cleveland Heights brewery. Brothers Jason and Josh Sweet opened their brewery on Lee Road in late 2017; just under two years later the first canned beers from Boss Dog are expected to hit store shelves in the Greater Cleveland area next month. No word as yet what the first canned beer will be, but you can follow them for the upcoming announcement at facebook.com/bossdogbrewing
- Today, Terrestrial Brewing will tap Microscopic Maniac, an IPA fermented with 12 strains of Brettanomyces yeast and dry hopped with Centennial and Amarillo hops.
- Attention runners: the Hofbrauhaus Cleveland Half Marathon (also featuring a 10K and 5K race) will be held on Sunday, August 4. Registration is limited, click link for info.
- This week, Fat Head’s tapped Lime Feeling Good, a session sour ale with lime and guava, at their brewery and beer hall in Middleburg Heights.
- ICYMI: the Butcher and the Brewer tapped a new batch of Adult Peanut Butter Cup bourbon barrel aged Imperial stout at their downtown brewpub.
We’re a little embarrassed that we missed this story last week, but with 300+ breweries in Ohio, it’s hard to catch everything all the time. MadCap Brew Co. released their first beers in cans for National Independent Beer Run Day on Wednesday, July 3. The first two canned offerings on the market are Gold Flash golden ale – named in honor of the Kent State Golden Flashes – and Bullet IPA, one of the breweries longest-lived recipes. Four-packs of 16 ounce cans are available at the taproom in Kent and at select local retailers. More details at facebook.com/madcapbrewco
- Slicer Time, a new hazy IPA featuring a healthy dose of Mosaic hops, is on tap now at Hop Tree Brewing in Hudson.
- JAFB has your new summer crusher on tap now: Cherry Chillin’ is a light ale with a hint of tart cherry, available at the brewery in Wooster.
- Lock 15 Brewing’s winter warmer ale, Fragile Festivus, is on tap for a limited time at their Akron brewpub, if you’re in the holiday spirit.
- ICYMI: Missing Falls Brewery and the Canton Brewing Company brewed a collaboration hazy milkshake IPA with 50 pounds of Fruity Pebbles cereal; available now at both brewery taprooms.
Early bird discount tickets for the Northwest Ohio Brew-B-Que at 4KD Crick Brewing in Defiance are on sale now through Sunday, July 21. The event, to be held on Saturday, August 3, will feature beers from 21 Ohio breweries, live music and a barbecue buffet prepared by the Sweetwater Chophouse (adjacent to 4KD Crick on the grounds of the Eagle Rock Golf Club). Get more details and secure your tickets at facebook.com/4kdcrickbrewery
The 14th annual Ohio Brew Week kicks off today and runs through Saturday, July 20. 40 Ohio breweries will be participating in 150 events at 37 official venues around southeast Ohio. This long-running celebration has become one of the state’s premier craft beer events, drawing brewers from around the state to the week-long party centered in Athens. The Ohio Craft Brewers Association is proud to sponsor the Ohio Brew Week online beer list, featuring many event exclusive brews. Check it out at ohiobrewweek.com/brews
- Little Fish will release their collaboration with Branch & Bone Artisan Ales, Statement of Purpose saison, on Saturday, July 13 at their brewery tasting room in Athens.
- On Sunday, July 14, Homestead Brewing will release Gangwarrior double IPA, a collaboration with Three Tigers Brewing and fundraiser for the family of Three Tigers brewer Patrick Gangwer.
20 Ohio breweries – including 13 from the Cincinnati area – took home medals from the 2019 U.S. Open Beer Championship this week. The competition received more than 7,000 individual entries for 131 style categories, and Ohio breweries won a total of 30 medals: 10 gold, 10 silver and 10 bronze. Rhinegeist and Brink Brewing Company earned three medals each, while Fretboard Brewing, Listermann Brewing Company, Streetside Brewery, MadTree Brewing, Hansa Brewery (Cleveland), and The Dayton Beer Company each won two medals. See the complete list of winners at usopenbeer.com
- Christian Moerlein has brewed a Goetta Lager – including oats and spices used in this Cincinnati-area breakfast staple – in celebration of the upcoming Glier’s Goettafest.
- ICYMI: Rivertown Brewery brought back their classic, retired flagship Hop Bomber rye pale ale last week. Available in cans and on draft at their taproom in Monroe.
- March First Brewing tapped their new Passionfruit Midwest IPA this past week.
- Dead Low Brewing has installed fermenting tanks and is getting closer to opening in Cincinnati’s California neighborhood.
Branch & Bone Artisan Ales will release three beers at their Dayton taproom on Saturday, July 13. White Lodge is a new double IPA heavily dry hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Vic Secret hops. Black Lodge is a fruited Berliner Weisse with black currant and blackberry. Ghost Heart is foeder aged wild ale refermented on second use black raspberries and local honey. White Lodge and Black Lodge will be sold in 16 ounce cans, Ghost Heart will be available in 500 mL bottles. Get full details at facebook.com/branchandboneales
- The Dayton Strong Beer Bash to benefit Miami Valley tornado recovery efforts will be held Saturday, July 13 at Carillon Historical Park and feature 31 Ohio breweries.
- Fifth Street Brewpub will release Apollo Landing dry hopped saison on Thursday, July 18 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.