Ohio Brewery News
It’s been fun watching the definition of “classic rock” shift to include more and more music as time passes. In a parallel, as the craft beer world turns, the IPA category has grown to accommodate many characteristics that weren’t originally true to style (dark malts, hop haze, lactose, etc.) So it’s particularly fitting that classic rock, er, “iconic rock” station QFM96 in Columbus has teamed up with Random Precision Brewing to make Iconic 96, a Brettanomyces-fermented IPA infused with pineapple. Get the first taste of this genre-busting beer on Saturday, July 20 at their taproom in Worthington. Details at facebook.com/rpbsours
- On Thursday, August 1, the Columbus Landmarks Foundation will hold a tour of the historic Hoster Brewery building, featuring beers from Seventh Son and Antiques on High.
- 2 Tones Brewing released their new west coast double IPA, Freeze, I’m a Hop!, this week at their taproom in Whitehall.
- BrewDog’s collaboration hazy IPA with Philadephia’s Evil Genius Beer Company, 14/10 Would Recommend, is available this weekend at all central Ohio BrewDog locations.
- Temperance Row Brewing released Mugshot IPA, a nod to Westerville’s role in Prohibition and their status as the “Dry Capital of the World.”
There’s a strong argument to be made that the heavily spiced winter warmer popular around the winter holidays might just be Ohio’s most notable contribution to the worldwide craft beer culture. Many Ohio breweries will release their winter seasonals for “Christmas in July” celebrations this week. The granddaddy of them all, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, will get a special “Christmas in July” release exclusively at their Ohio City brewpub on Thursday, July 25. Get all the details at greatlakesbrewing.com
- Thirsty Dog will tap a special batch of 12 Dogs of Christmas at their brewpub in the Flats on Wednesday, July 24.
- Platform Beer Co. is also getting in on the holiday fun with their Half Christmas celebration (and release of five winter seasonal brews) on Thursday, July 25.
- Sibling Revelry Brewing’s Christmas in July party will feature a pilot batch of their new, upcoming Christmas beer planned for this winter.
- Masthead Brewing will release cans of Colony Collapse Triple New England IPA and One Trick Pony New England IPA (not Christmas beers!) on Saturday, July 20.
Noble Creature Cask House has been pumping out some very creative beers from their old church brewery in Youngstown. Several of those beers have ended up in bottles over the past year-and-a-half, but this weekend will mark the first time Noble Creature has sold beer in cans. The initial offering is a fan favorite: Thin Lips Berliner Weisse with cranberry and raspberry. Four-pack cans will be available at noon on Saturday, July 20 at the brewery taproom. Details at facebook.com/noblecreaturebeer
- Birdfish Brewing will hold a can release of Outta Sight double dry hopped hazy IPA on Saturday, July 20 at the Down Low brewery taproom in Columbiana.
- Biker Brewhouse in Warren will have a special tapping of Cruisin’ Christmas Ale for their Christmas in July party on Saturday, July 20.
- On Wednesday, July 24, Royal Docks will hold a special release of their Leatherhead IPA canned specially for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- The second annual Sandy Springs Brewing Christmas in July party will be held on Thursday, July 25 at the brewery in Minerva, featuring a special tapping of Sandy Claus winter warmer.
This weekend will mark the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, sending the first humans to set foot on the surface of the moon. On July 20, 1969, Wapakoneta, Ohio native Neil Armstrong took the first step on the lunar surface, the culmination of a decade of rapid scientific advancement and the finish line of the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union. To commemorate this historic event, three northwest Ohio breweries have released special moon-themed beers: Moeller Brew Barn’s First on the Moon pale ale, Findlay Brewing’s Lunar Lander hazy pale ale, and Earnest Brew Works’ Sea of Tranquility hazy raspberry IPA.
- Tailspin Brewing has tapped a fresh batch of their Whirling Wit with fresh blueberries at their tasting room in Coldwater.
- Inside the Five Brewing tapped Bella Brie, their seasonal strawberry cream ale made with 200 pounds of fresh, locally-grown strawberries, this week at their downtown Sylvania brewpub.
Just a few weeks after opening their giant new taproom off Route 33 in Carroll, Outerbelt Brewing has canned their first beers. Glasstown Lager is a crisp, 5.2% ABV pale lager brewed with 100% American pilsner malt that has been one of the brewery’s best-selling beers to date. Gravel Donuts is a juicy, hop forward, low bitterness New England IPA landing at 6.5% ABV. Both beers will be available in 16 ounce four-packs at the brewery on Saturday, July 20 and at select Columbus-area retailers. Details at facebook.com/outerbeltbeer
- Devil’s Kettle Brewing has been pulling out all the stops for Ohio Brew Week, including a bottle release of three barrel aged sour and wild ales: Base of Acid, Peach Merkaba and Raspberry Merkaba.
- Cheers to 12 years of beers from Weasel Boy Brewing in Zanesville! They treated their regulars to a surprise quarter barrel of the award-winning Anastasia Russian Imperial Stout on Thursday (which unsurprisingly kicked in just a couple of hours).
16 Lots Brewing is getting in on the canned beer action. The Mason brewery is coming up on their two-year anniversary this fall and is ready to release their beer in a more portable format for their fans. Soak City juicy IPA and The Major pilsner will be the first two varieties packaged, both featuring can art that pays homage to local landmarks and history. Look for these 16 Lots beers to be available for sale in late July or early August. For details, follow the brewery at facebook.com/16lots
- Last chance to register a team for Dangerwheel, the adult downhill big wheel race to benefit improvement projects in the Pendleton neighborhood. 3 Points Urban Brewery will host the tournament seeding party on Sunday, July 21.
- Christmas in July is a thing down south too: Municipal Brew Works will tap their Elf Juice peppermint stout on nitro on Tuesday, July 23.
- Sonder Brewing tapped Adela gose – along with a Moscow Mule version with lime and ginger – at their brewery tasting room in Mason.
- Taft’s Brewing Company released cans of their new Juicy Justice double IPA to distribution this week.
Time to get festive: Crooked Handle Brewing‘s Christmas in July event on Thursday, July 25 will feature tappings of both of their holiday ales. Krooked Kringle is a traditional, Ohio-style winter warmer brewed with orange peel and cinnamon, while Krooked Krampus is a mischievous gingerbread porter. Enjoy both beers as well as live music – perchance some holiday tunes? – as well as Christmas-themed donuts. Find your way to Springboro-ho-ho for some yuletide cheer. Details at facebook.com/crookedhandle