Ohio Brewery News
Land-Grant Brewing is creating a special beer experience for the inaugural Scioto Fest, a weekend-long celebration at the Scioto Audubon Metro Park near downtown Columbus. The brewery will set up an outdoor beer garden in the park – dubbed the Land-Grant Brewing Company Outpost – and will be serving their new Outpost Rustic Lager along with other fan favorites. The beer was brewed with honey harvested from the Scioto Audubon park; a portion of proceeds from Outpost beer sales will benefit Columbus Metro Parks. Details at facebook.com/landgrantbrewingco
- Hoof Hearted Brewing will release cans of Everybody Wants Some triple IPA, triple dry-hopped with Vic Secret hops, today at their Marengo brewery.
- On Sunday, September 15, Parsons North Brewing will release their Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout at their taproom in Schumacher Place.
- Gordon Biersch will tap their Festbier on Wednesday, September 18 at their brewpub in the Arena District.
- Gemut Biergarten rolled out Helheim Helles yesterday, the first beer made at their German-inspired brewery in Olde Towne East.
Fat Head’s Brewery has taken the crown in this year’s King of Ohio beer competition. The annual contest is organized by beer writers across the state and focuses on a single style, allowing each brewery to submit only one entry. For 2019, entrants were asked to send their best IPA, regardless of sub-style. Of the 94 beers judged, Strange Magic – the newest year-round IPA from Fat Head’s – took best in show honors. For a full list of winners, read the recap from competition organizer Rick Armon at ohio.com
- Terrestrial Brewing’s third annual dog show takes place on Saturday, September 14 at the brewery tasting room in Battery Park.
- Goldhorn Brewery will host the Heavy Metal Flea Market on Sunday, September 15, complete with live metal bands and a special release of Hopping Evil IPA.
- Just in time for football season, Cornerstone Brewing released Berea Brown, a hoppy brown ale, at their brewpub in downtown Berea.
- This week, Noble Beast Brewing tapped Fall Farmhouse 2.0, a rye saison steeped with orange peel, at their downtown Cleveland brewpub.
Rick Armon – keeper of the Ohio beer blog at the Akron Beacon-Journal, chronicler of new Ohio brewery permits, asker of five questions, organizer of the King of Ohio competition, author of not one, but two books on the modern craft brewing industry in Ohio, and all-around amazing guy – is stepping away from his full-time beer beat. He will be taking the reins as editor of the Wooster Daily Record and Ashland Times-Gazette effective next week. There’s no doubt that he will continue to write about beer as time allows, but we want to take this opportunity to thank Rick for his years of service and promotion of Ohio’s craft breweries. Cheers!
- On Sunday, September 15, Lager Heads Brewing will release their new Kitten Mittens Kolsch on draft at their brewery taproom in Medina.
- Modern Methods will release 7 Frogs Local Pale Ale, brewed with locally-grown malt and hops, on Sunday, September 15 at their taproom in downtown Warren.
- Hoppin’ Frog will release a bourbon barrel aged batch of T.O.R.I.S. the Tyrant triple oatmeal Russian imperial stout on Thursday, September 19th at their tasting room in Akron.
- ICYMI: JAFB released Perpetually Passion Fruit, a witbier brewed with 170 pounds of passion fruit, last week at their Wooster taproom.
Maumee Bay Brewing Company will hold their annual Oktoberfest celebration this Sunday, September 15 at the brewery complex in downtown Toledo. The event will be held in the courtyard adjoining the historic Oliver House, with German-style beers on tap, a special Oktoberfest pig roast food menu and live music under the big tent and in the warehouse event space. Get all the details at facebook.com/mbaybrew
Three Ohio breweries have teamed up on a unique collaboration to encourage people to explore all the great things that Ohio has to offer. State of Mine, an IPA developed by Jackie O’s, MadTree and Fat Head’s, will be available as part of a mixed 12-pack starting next week. Three cans of the new IPA will be packaged together with three cans each of Jackie O’s Mystic Mama IPA, MadTree PsycHOPathy IPA and Fat Head’s Trail Head pale ale. Learn more about this innovative collab idea at facebook.com/madtree
- The collaboration west coast IPA from DankHouse Brewing and Wyoming’s Melvin Brewing, Melvin, That’s Dank!, is available in cans on retail shelves around Ohio this week.
- Ohio’s native “tropical” fruit, the pawpaw, gets the royal treatment by southeast Ohio breweries; Putnam’s Pawpaw Ale is back on tap now at Marietta Brewing Company.
Next Saturday, September 21, Listermann Brewing will celebrate 11 years of beers with an extensive birthday bash in their Norwood taproom. This year’s event will be broken up into three sessions – VIP session tickets are already sold out – with several special bottles available for sale. All ticket holders will receive 10 four-ounce samples, a commemorative tasting glass and the opportunity to purchase anniversary bottles while they last throughout the day. Get full details and secure your tickets at facebook.com/listermannbrewing
- Cheers to two years of beers from 16 Lots Brewing! Special beer releases hit the taps today, with live music and goat yoga happening during the weekend festivities.
- Today, West Side Brewing will release cans of Centenni-ale, a hoppy spiced ale brewed to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Mount St. Joseph University.
- Municipal Brew Works will tap their 1791 Oktoberfest lager on Saturday, September 14 at their brewery tasting room in Hamilton.
- Cheers to two years of beers from Sons of Toil Brewing! The Mount Orab brewery will release three new beers starting next weekend.
Last month, Fifth Street Brewpub hosted a hop picking party with freshly cut bines of locally-grown Nugget hops. The fruits, er, flowers, of that labor will be released in the form of Fifth Street’s 2019 Fresh Hop Ale on Thursday, September 19. This is the greatest time of year for hoppy beer enthusiasts, as the flavors and aromas from fresh hops are unmatched and available exclusively after hop harvest. Get more details on the Fresh Hop Ale release at facebook.com/fifthstreetbrewpub