Ohio Brewery News
Ohio craft beer fans have been waiting a long time for this moment: after 30 years in business, Columbus Brewing Company has opened their first independently-owned brewery taproom. Plans had been in the works to open a public tasting room since moving to their 50,000 square foot west side facility in 2014, and those have come to fruition this week. The opening draft list consists of 21 beers, running the gamut from their signature hoppy beers to barrel-aged brews to award-winning sours. Take a sneak peek at bizjournals.com
- The Firkin Friday cask at Barley’s Brewing Company today is called Hopped Up On Pils: that’s Barley’s Pilsner conditioned with Mandarina Bavaria and Citra hops.
- Ill Mannered will tap their first ever Oktoberfest lager at their Oktoberfest celebration on Saturday, September 21 at the brewery in Powell.
- Seventh Son Brewing’s 1,000th batch, The Big One-Zero-Zero-Zero, is a west coast IPA with passion fruit blended with bourbon barrel aged Tinkerton barleywine.
- This week, Staas Brewing in Delaware tapped their new Nelson Sauvin pale ale, named for the New Zealand hops that impart a strong tropical fruit flavor.
On March 31, 2019, the Cleveland beer community lost one of its most recognizable faces. Bob ReMalia, known to many as “Bible Bob” for his devout faith and volunteerism, passed away at the age of 79. Bob was an avid fan of craft beer and was a regular at several Cleveland breweries. Brick & Barrel will honor him today on what would have been his 80th birthday. BobFest kicks off at 2 p.m. with the tapping of Bob IPA, a collaboration from 12 area breweries. Read more at facebook.com/brickandbarrel
- Cheers to two years of beers from the Jolly Scholar! The brewery on the Case Western Reserve campus will celebrate with new beer releases on Saturday, September 21.
- Saucy Brew Works will release cans of War Chest hazy imperial IPA at their Ohio City taproom on Saturday, September 21.
- This week, Bookhouse Brewing tapped Supernal Map, a Citra hopped version of their Celestial map IPA, at their tasting room in Ohio City.
- Hey Kid, Don’t Get Old west coast IPA is the newest taproom-exclusive brew from Sibling Revelry Brewing in Westlake.
Big week on tap for Birdfish Brewing. On Saturday, September 21, the Columbiana brewery will tap the first of their three year series of charitable collaboration beers with Austintown Pediatrics. Scripted is a brand new hazy double IPA double dry hopped with Mandarina Bavaria and Summer hops, with profits to benefit pediatric and medical charities. Then, on Wednesday, September 25, Birdfish will release cans of Harvest Haze pale ale, one of five wet hop beers they brewed with fresh, locally-grown hops. Details on those beers at facebook.com/birdfishbrew.
- Biker Brewhouse will be tapping Whitewall, their new white chocolate and vanilla stout, on Saturday, September 21 at their brewery in Austintown.
- On Saturday, September 21, Clubhouse Brewing will tap their Octoberfest lager at the brewery tasting room in Warren.
- Ignite Brewing will tap Eighteen Degrees Russian imperial stout and a barrel aged version of the same on Thursday, September 26 at their brewery tasting room in Barberton.
- Euriosity, the new traditional gose from Eighty-Three Brewery, is available on draft now at their taproom in Akron’s East End.
Cheers to three years of beers from Upside Brewing! The nanobrewery, located inside long-running Sylvania institution J & G Pizza Palace, is celebrating their anniversary with the release of their 300th batch of beer. Arm Candy is a strawberry Starburst-infused New England IPA brewed with El Dorado hops, hitting the taps today at 4 p.m. On top of that, Upside introduced their new Oktoberfest lager, German Curl, earlier this week. Read more at facebook.com/upsidebrewing
- Tailspin Brewing has whipped up a batch of the historic local Wooden Shoe Lager Beer to be released at Minster, Ohio’s Oktoberfest celebration.
- Yesterday, Earnest Brew Works tapped their Harvest IPA, a fresh hop brew made with locally-grown, whole cone Cascade hops and dry hopped with more Cascade and Columbus hops.
Here’s an answer to one of beer culture’s most frequently asked questions: 200 years ago this year, the citizenry of Munich moved the start of their Oktoberfest celebration to September to take advantage of more favorable weather. Devil’s Kettle Brewing will throw their annual Oktoberfest party in our extended Ohio summer this Saturday, September 21 with the release of two special brews: a Weizenbock and their annual charity beer, Oktoberbreast, with proceeds to benefit breast cancer research. Details at facebook.com/devilskettlebrewing
- To celebrate the return of THE college football season, Outerbelt Brewing will tap Rivalry imperial red ale on Saturday, September 21 at their brewery tasting room in Carroll.
- Homestead Beer Company’s Horizon hazy IPA got its first bottle release this week, find it on shelves at select retailers around Ohio.
Yesterday, March First Brewing announced that they are acquiring FigLeaf Brewing in Middletown. March First has seen rapid expansion over the past few years, including a large renovation of their Blue Ash taproom and continued investment in a full portfolio of beverages. The partnership with FigLeaf, themselves offering a wide variety of beverage options and expanding their own on-premises retail space, gives March First a wider reach into markets north of Cincinnati and allows for popular brands from both breweries to grow. Read analysis on the deal at thegnarlygnome.com
- Oktoberfest Zinzinnati is this weekend; Moerlein Lager House is celebrating the world’s second largest Oktoberfest with their Überdrome, a giant festival tent in Smale Riverfront Park.
- Sonder Brewing will release cans of Straight Cloudz double NE IPA and Pina Colada Frosted milkshake IPA today at their taproom in Mason.
- Cheers to two years of beers from 13 Below Brewing! The river-adjacent brewery in Sayler Park will feature beer releases and live music this weekend, starting Saturday, September 21.
- Fibonacci Brewing will release their first barrel aged beer and their first lager at their Autumnal Equinox celebration on Saturday, September 21.
Cheers to two years of beers from Heavier than Air Brewing! The Centerville brewery will host revelers on Saturday, September 21 starting with the 11 a.m. tapping of Der Vogelmann Oktoberfest lager. Special second anniversary glasses will be available while supplies last. Enjoy live music and complimentary snacks throughout the afternoon with the World Piece food truck arriving at 4:30 p.m. Get more details at facebook.com/heavierthanairbrewingco
- EudoraFest, the inaugural Oktoberfest celebration at Eudora Brewing Company, will be held on Saturday, September 21 at their brewery and beer hall in Kettering.
- Guilty Conscience, a new American IPA brewed with Columbus, Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado hops, is on tap now at Alematic Artisan Ales in Huber Heights.