Ohio Brewery News
I am going to attempt to report on Sideswipe Brewing’s release of Squashing Pumpkins ale with zero ‘90’s alternative rock puns. This is the second year that the roasted butternut squash and pumpkin ale will see a can release, available at 1 p.m. on Saturday, September 7 at the Sideswipe taproom on Columbus’ west side. Release details at facebook.com/sideswipebrewing
- Pretentious Barrel House will release Rebosante tequila barrel aged blonde sour ale with orange, lime and habanero today.
- Aloha, an 11% ABV coconut milk stout, is the newest can offering from BrewDog, available at all Ohio locations and select central Ohio retailers.
- Somewhere in Particular canned a limited release of Tuesday Morning Fun Pit raspberry smoothie IPA, available at their northwest Columbus taproom.
- ICYMI: Hoptoberfest, the Galaxy-hopped, toasty Oktoberfest from Barley’s Brewing Company, is back on tap at their Arena District brewpub.
Some craft beer enthusiasts bemoan the idea of “seasonal creep” – pumpkin ales in July, Christmas ales in October, etc. – but one seasonal style is relatively immune to calendar manipulation. Wet hop or fresh hop beers that use freshly harvested, whole cone hops are only available for a brief window at the end of the growing season. For hoppy beer fans, this is the best time of year. Numerous wet hop beers are on their way, such as Touch of Green, a fresh hop IPA now on tap at the Fat Head’s brewery and beer hall in Middleburg Heights.
- Saucy Brew Works will tap Nuthin’ but a G Thang hazy imperial IPA on Saturday, September 7 at their brewery in Ohio City.
- Market Garden Brewery is now offering self-guided tours of their Ohio City production facility every weekday, in addition to their guided tours held on weekends.
- Happy belated third anniversary to Avon Brewing Company! Next on tap for ABC, a second location in Avon and a new brewery venture in Medina.
- ICYMI: Look for cans of Island Gigantism, the first double IPA from Bookhouse Brewing, at select retailers in the Cleveland area.
Cheers to four years of beers from R.Shea Brewing! The Akron brewery kicked off the festivities earlier this week with several small-batch beer releases at their brewpub in Merriman Valley. If you’re a little late to the party, there’s still plenty of great beer to be had this weekend: today they’ll tap Southern Ambrosia Milkshake IPA and on Saturday they’ll release Double N.E.O. IPA with Columbus, Citra and Mosaic hops on draft. Get all the details at facebook.com/rsheabrewing
- Royal Docks Brewing releases cans of Apocalypso, a rye IPA with prickly pear and toasted coconut, today at their North Canton taproom.
- Muskellunge Brewing will release their seasonal Pumpkinseed ale today at their taproom in Canton.
- Shale Brewing Company tapped their new India Pale Lager, a Centennial-hopped and malt driven hybrid beer, at their North Canton tasting room.
- ICYMI: Akronym Brewing tapped Windigo, their double red IPA, and their Fest Bier lager last week at the brewery in downtown Akron.
Labor Day marks the traditional end of the summer vacation season along the Lake Erie shores, and as such we see many north coast breweries rolling back their hours of operation as they prepare for the winter season. That doesn’t mean the beer stops flowing, though: for instance, Catawba Island Brewing brought their fan favorite peach IPA, Peach & Chong, back to their taps this past week. Check Catawba Island’s new seasonal hours at facebook.com/catawbaislandbrewingco –
Sweet… The Lithopolis Honey Festival kicks off today in the village southeast of Columbus. Eldridge & Fiske Brewing is putting the “bee” in “beer” this weekend with the release of Stone City Honey Ale at their Lithopolis brewery taproom. Yes, I just heard you groan about that pun; I’m sorry. Learn more about the annual celebration of all things apian at http://www.centralohiobeekeeper.com/
Cheers to two years of beers from Grainworks Brewing! Once again, the West Chester brewery will celebrate with a weekend-long music festival, replete with a bounty of beer tappings. You can even take the party home with you with two canned beer releases: Cabana Boy pineapple milkshake IPA and 2nd Anniversary Tart cherry and orange Berliner Weisse. Get the full tap list and details on the weekend’s festivities at facebook.com/grainworksbeer
- Fretboard Brewing will release cans of the newest iteration of their Juicy Improv IPA – this time infused with grapefruit – on Monday, September 9 at the brewery in Blue Ash.
- Fibonacci Brewing started their Fib Farm Thursday happy hours this week. Drink beer with the goats at the urban farm brewery in Mt. Healthy!
- Here and There, an approachable butterfly pea flower grisette, is the newest offering at the Fifty West brewpub in Cincinnati.
- ICYMI: Christian Moerlein’s Fifth & Vine Oktoberfest lager is back and now available in cans.
It’s a sure sign that Ale-O-Ween – our Halloween-themed Ohio craft beer fest – is coming up soon when Warped Wing Brewing releases Creep Show, their seasonal smoked porter. On Saturday, September 7, the downtown Dayton brewery will release six-packs of the 6.66% ABV dark delight. There will also be bottles of barrel aged Creep Show and two barrel aged variants of Flying Heads Dubbel Pumpkin available for purchase. Get full release details at facebook.com/warpedwing (and don’t forget to secure your Ale-O-Ween tickets!)
- Roundhouse Depot Brewing will tap Hoppy Harvest 937, a wet-hopped beer made with Ohio-grown hops and grains, on Saturday, September 7 at the brewery in Bellefontaine.
- Welcome Endless Pint Brewing, the newest members of the Ohio Craft Brewers Association! The Versailles brewery recently celebrated their one-year anniversary and can now be found on the Ohio On Tap passport app.