Ohio Brewery News
Six One Pour: What to Expect
A couple weeks ago, we posted about what makes Ohio Craft Brewers Association events different – and, dare we say, better – compared to many of the beer festivals that happen around Ohio every year. Today, we’d like to hyper focus on Six One Pour: The Ohio Craft Beer Fest, happening this Saturday, May 14 at COSI in downtown Columbus.
It’s been a couple years since we’ve been able to put on Six One Pour: the last installment was back in 2019 when the world was different, to say the least. That event was held a couple weeks after Ohio’s 300th craft brewery opened. Three years later, despite a global pandemic and economic uncertainty, Ohio is on the precipice of 400 active breweries. Fifty-five of them will be on hand at Six One Pour to celebrate our industry’s resilience and thank the craft beer drinkers who helped us all weather the storm.
Innovation Through Collaboration
Six One Pour’s impressive beer list features several Ohio brewery collaboration beers all in one place:
- From the Heart Vol. 2: More than 70 breweries made our second annual statewide collaboration beer to benefit the Ohio Craft Brewers Association. Akronym, Loose Ends, Nostalgia and Spires Social will all bring their versions of the hazy IPA to Six One Pour for you to compare and contrast.
- Three of Columbus Brewing Company‘s recent collaborations will be on tap: their Maibock collab with Wooly Pig, The Dank Bus hazy IPA collab with DankHouse and the Cryohio imperial IPA collab with Fat Head’s.
- Nocterra and Derive teamed up on a pair of double dry hopped hazy beers: Nocterra’s Less Green More Money IPA and Derive’s Even Less Green, Even More Money (the double IPA version) will be at adjoining tables for your sipping convenience.
- Wolf’s Ridge also got in on the collab fun with Derive and Nocterra, making Mirror Dimension hazy triple IPA with Derive and Movin’ and Groovin’ cold IPA with Nocterra.
- Nostalgia is bringing their end of the “Lemonade Stand” collab they did with Spires Social, a blueberry shandy called Carmen Shan-Diego.
Ohio breweries made a great showing at this year’s World Beer Cup competition, bringing home a total of 15 awards against thousands of breweries from all over the globe. Two of this year’s award winners will be on tap: Wolf’s Ridge Daybreak, the silver award winner in the coffee beer category (and 3-time medalist at the Great American Beer Festival) and Columbus Lager, the bronze winner in the contemporary American-style lager category.
Speaking of the Great American Beer Festival, several medal-winning brews from that competition will be on tap as well, including JAF IPA and Hefeweizen from JAFB, Bodhi and Summer Teeth from Columbus Brewing Company, and the aforementioned Daybreak from Wolf’s Ridge.
In total, 14 of this year’s 55 participating breweries have earned a medal from either the World Beer Cup or Great American Beer Festival competitions over the years.
Rolling Out the Barrel
Several breweries will be bringing some rare, dark and strong beers to serve at Six One Pour:
- Grizzlybird makes its Six One Pour debut sparkle with Stargazer, a bourbon barrel aged imperial chocolate stout with Madagascar vanilla beans.
- Jackie O’s reached deep into their impressive barrel cellar for Oil of Aphrodite Extra Reserve, an imperial stout brewed with walnuts and Belgian Candi syrup, aged 20 months in bourbon barrels and conditioned on toasted walnuts and maple syrup.
- Loose Ends is setting up a Randall to make a unique infusion just for Six One Pour. They’ll be running their TerraWatts barrel-aged stout through cacao nibs and vanilla beans to impart extra layers of decadent flavor.
- Yellow Springs saved a keg of Anniversary Nine, their one-off barrel aged Mexican hot chocolate milk stout, just for this event.
Beyond the Beer
We could spend hours analyzing this outstanding beer list, but there are other fun things to look forward to at Six One Pour this year as well:
- Our host COSI has granted us use of the entire museum this year, so there will be plenty of space to spread out while enjoying these amazing beers. If the weather holds (keep your fingers crossed, this is Ohio after all), several breweries will be serving outside, not to mention the dozens of breweries set up throughout the first floor of the museum. Many of COSI’s exhibits will be open as well so you can explore between sips.
- Enjoy live music on two stages performed by local musicians Jenny Flory and Jef Shaffer. The CD92.9 Scene Team will also be on hand with fun games and prizes.
- COSI will have food available in the Molecules Cafe and at a mobile food station set up among the brewery tables.
- Ohio On Tap users can stamp their passport at Six One Pour to receive a bonus stamp worth five points. If you’re not using our statewide brewery passport app yet, you can download it for free!
- We’ll have a very limited number of commemorative Six One Pour t-shirts available at our merch booth. Pick one up for $20 or browse the rest of our offerings from the Drink Beer Made Here merchandise collection.
See You There!
We’re so excited to be able to bring Six One Pour back to Columbus this year and we’re really looking forward to seeing so many of our craft beer-loving friends in Central Ohio again!
Tickets are on sale now! Early Admission tickets (7 p.m. entry) are $65 each when purchased in advance, General Admission tickets (8 p.m. entry) are $55 each when purchased in advance. Designated Driver tickets (no sampling permitted) are available for $20. *All ticket prices go up by $10 at the door, so buy online and save!* Get yours now at https://beerfesttickets.com/sixonepour2022
Six One Pour: The Ohio Craft Beer Fest is a fundraiser for the Ohio Craft Brewers Association, a non-profit trade association that works to promote, preserve, diversify and unify Ohio’s craft brewing industry. Read more about what we do to support Ohio breweries at https://ohiocraftbeer.org/about-ocba